[Comp-neuro] Software engineer position in human brain project

Eloy Retamino ercarrion44 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 23 17:49:08 CEST 2020

Position: Neuro-robotics Software Engineer

Location: Granada, Spain

At the Applied Computational Neuroscience (ACN) Group [1], headed by
Prof. Eduardo Ros and part of the Computer Architecture and Technology
Department at University of Granada, we are engaged in developing robot
controllers from models and techniques drawn from neuroscience.
Concretely we focus on the exploration of models of the cerebellum and
their application in robot control.

We are looking for a software engineer to contribute to our tasks in the
Human Brain Project (HBP) [2]. HBP is an ambitious, 10 years long
research project funded by the European Commision and targeting the
exploration of human cognition and its relation to brain structures and
activity. The project is developing a series of simulation platforms to
facilitate different levels of research in neuroscience. At UGR we
participate in the design and development of the Neuro-Robotics Platform
(NRP) [3], a research infrastructure which enables embodied simulated
experiments in neuroscience in which a spiking neural simulator and a
physics simulator run synchronously and communicate in a closed loop
fashion. As a member of our group you will contribute to the development
of the NRP in the last stage of the HBP.

*Your tasks*

Contribute to the full cycle development of the NRP.

We have some interesting challenges in this last part of the HBP and
need a motivated person with experience and passion for software
architecture design, physics and neural simulation and robotics. As
well, the NRP is built as a production grade software product and we try
to take seriously all steps in the development, including unit testing,
quality assurance and continuous integration.

Depending on your profile you will focus more on particular tasks
suiting your experience with the possibility of learning and applying
new skills.

*Your profile*

* Basic skills:

  - Demonstrable excellent Python and C/C++ programming skills

  - Experience and participation in collaborative software projects

  - Experience and passion in robotics, machine learning, neural
simulation and/or physics simulation is a big plus

  - Good spoken and written English skills

* Additional skills:

  - Experience in other programming languages

  - Version Control software (eg. GIT)

  - Robotics oriented middlewares and frameworks (eg. ROS)

  - Experience in Software Architecture design

  - Experience in Real Time systems design

  - QA and devops experience

*Our offer*

  - You will participate in an international research project of great
relevance and collaborate with top european institutions

  - Contract of two and a half years with a competitive salary according
to experience. Offered brute salary range is 1600 - 2400 €, to be
concreted according to relevant experience and skills.

  - Short trips within Europe as part of the project activities.

  - Very nice and friendly atmosphere in the group

  - You will be based on Granada, an exciting and cultural city at the
South of Spain half an hour away from mountains, snow and the beach

If you are interested in joining our group and HBP send your application
to Eloy Retamino (retamino at ugr.es) including your CV and a motivation
letter.

Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Also,
applications without a dedicated motivation letter will not be considered.

[1] http://acn.ugr.es

[2] https://www.humanbrainproject.eu

[3] https://neurorobotics.net