[Comp-neuro] postdoc position to study spike dynamics in the thalamus during sleep and memory

Carmen Varela carmenv.work at gmail.com
Tue Nov 10 21:13:34 CET 2020

We are looking for a talented and highly motivated postdoc interested in
studying the *dynamics of thalamic cell ensemble activity during learning
and memory in rodents. *One of the goals in the Varela lab is to investigate
the spike dynamics and brain states that allow animals to learn and make
sense of their environment. https://www.varelalab.org/
     The postdoctoral researcher will gain expertise in systems and
behavioral neuroscience using extracellular electrophysiology and behavior
to study the spike dynamics associated with sleep-dependent memory
consolidation. Possibility of contributing to additional collaborative
projects.
     We are a small young lab and highly interactive; we love what we do
and work closely to support and help each other succeed. The lab is located
in the beautiful Jupiter campus of Florida Atlantic University, a rapidly
growing neuroscience hub that also holds our partners, the Max Planck
Florida Institute for Neuroscience and Scripps Research Institute.

*Requirements:*   PhD with experience in electrophysiology and rodent
models; outstanding interpersonal skills and motivation to work in a
collaborative environment. Experience with MATLAB (or other programming
languages) preferred. Candidates selected for an interview will be asked to
provide contact information for three references.
Start date flexible, January-May of 2021.

*Interested applicants, please submit your curriculum to Carmen
Varela:  varelac at fau.edu <varelac at fau.edu>*

FAU is an equal opportunity/affirmative action institution and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability status, protected veterans’ status or any other
characteristic protected by law.

--
*Carmen Varela, Ph.D.*
Assistant Professor