[Comp-neuro] Research Assistant (Research Associate)

Artur Luczak luczak at uleth.ca
Sun May 10 01:08:38 CEST 2020

Research Assistant (Research Associate) at the University of Lethbridge.

Our lab seeks a highly motivated individual with a strong computational
background to work at the interface of neuroscience and machine
learning. We are especially interested in the application of deep neural
networks to improve our understanding of neuronal data, and the
application of recent neuroscience findings to improve the performance
of deep neural networks. In our lab we also record the activity of
hundreds of neurons in normal and epileptic animals, and the successful
candidate is welcome to participate in those projects. Preferred
candidate should have strong background in modeling neurons and
networks, and should be very familiar with models of synaptic plasticity
(e.g. BCM).
Our lab at the Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience in the
University of Lethbridge is located in the sunniest area of Canada and
next to scenic Rocky Mountains. All qualified candidates are encouraged
to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given
priority. For more information please visit our website at:
http://lethbridgebraindynamics.com/artur_luczak.

Duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct research and literature reviews, in related topics for use in
scholarly publications.
- Compile research results and assist professors in the analysis of
results and the preparation of journal articles or papers.
- Analyze data using statistics, programming techniques and artificial
neural networks.
- Develop analytical methods in biologically plausible artificial neural
networks.
- Participate in scientific discussion groups and seminars.
All duties and responsibilities shall be carried out under the
supervision of Prof. Artur Luczak.

Skills & Qualifications:
- Master degree’s in neuroscience, physics, computer science or related
topics.
- 3 years of related research work experience.
- Having strong background in modeling neurons and networks, and should
be very familiar with models of synaptic plasticity.
- Familiarity with epilepsy is an asset
- Highly experienced in programming with Python and Matlab.
- Ability to work with data, applying machine learning methods and deep
learning.
- Working with computer clusters and cloud computing.
- Excellent communication and team work skills.
Working Conditions:
Work in an office with a computer provided.
Hours of Work: Full-time, 30-32 hours per week.
Salary: $21.63 /hour
Duration: one year with the opportunity for extension
Language requirements: English
Benefits: Standard benefits including Extended Health, Dental, EFAP,
Life Insurance and Long Term Disability.
Interested applicants are encouraged to contact Professor Artur Luczak
(Luczak at uleth.ca) with a copy of their CV and a cover letter.
Address: University of Lethbridge. 4401 University Drive West,
Lethbridge, Alberta  T1M 1R6, Canada