[Comp-neuro] 3 PhD/MSc Positions at the University of Calgary

Wilten Nicola nicolacompneurolab at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 07:06:53 CEST 2020

The Nicola Computational Neuroscience lab at the University of Calgary in
the Hotchkiss Brain Institute is looking for three talented researchers at
the PhD/Masters level.

*PhD/MSc Position 1:  Analysis and Modelling of Trained Recurrent and
Spiking Neural Networks *

The Nicola Lab is looking for a talented Master's or PhD candidate with a
strong background in pure or applied mathematics, or physics.  The project
will involve analyzing the structure and operation of trained spiking and
recurrent neural networks to determine how these trained networks perform
dynamics, solve tasks, and emulate behaviours.  The ideal candidate will
have a background in dynamical systems theory, functional analysis, and
some statistical analysis, and have a BSc in pure or applied mathematics.
Some knowledge of numerical methods and neuroscience is beneficial, but not
required.

*PhD/MSc Position 2:  Modelling Spatiotemporal dynamics in whole-brain
imaging*

We are looking for a talented Master's or PhD candidate with a background
in computational neuroscience, mathematics, or physics.  The project will
involve analyzing the emergent spatiotemporal dynamics of whole-brain
Calcium imaging data obtained in the McGirr Lab for mice undergoing
experimentally induced stress paradigms.  The ideal candidate will have a
background in dynamical systems theory, statistical analysis, and a
particular focus on spatial models (Partial Differential Equations), or
Markov Processes.  The ideal candidate will have a background in scientific
programming and numerical methods for the simulation and analysis of these
models.

*PhD/MSc Position 3:  Investigating Synchrony in Spiking Neural Networks *

The Nicola Lab is looking for a talented Master's or PhD candidate with a
strong background in Applied or Pure mathematics with an emphasis on
dynamical systems theory.  The project will involve analyzing the
synchronizability of non-smooth, integrate-and-fire type spiking neural
networks under a variety of conditions.  The ideal candidate will have a
background in dynamical systems theory, functional analysis, and some
statistical analysis, and have a BSc in pure or applied mathematics.    The
ideal candidate will have a background in scientific programming and
numerical methods for conducting simulations.

Interested candidates should clarify which position they are applying for
in an email to wilten.nicola at ucalgary.ca and attach to this email their CV,
undergraduate/master's degree transcripts, a letter of research interests,
and the contact information for 2 referees.   The start-dates are flexible.

The University of Calgary is a global intellectual hub located in Canada’s
most enterprising city. In our spirited, high-quality learning environment,
students thrive in programs made rich by research, hands-on experiences and
entrepreneurial thinking. Our strategy drives us to be recognized as one of
Canada’s top five research universities, engaging the communities we both
serve and lead. This strategy is called Eyes High, inspired by the
university's Gaelic motto, which translates as 'I will lift up my eyes.'
For more information, visit ucalgary.ca/eyeshigh.