[Comp-neuro] Postdoctoral Position at the University of Calgary

Wilten Nicola nicolacompneurolab at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 20:22:24 CET 2020

*POSTDOCTORAL SCHOLARSHIP*

*UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY*

*CHIMERA STATES IN NEURONAL CIRCUITS*

The Complexity Science Group at the University of Calgary invites
applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar in the field of *complex* *networks*
*and* *neuronal* *dynamics*. The successful applicant is expected to work
closely with a multidisciplinary research team co-led by Dr. Wilten Nicola
and Dr. Jörn Davidsen on questions related but not limited to the emergence
of chimera states in circuits of neurons. Successful candidates are expected
to primarily conduct theoretical and computational research in collaboration
with a number of experimental and clinical partners. More information about
the Complexity Science Group is available at www.ucalgary.ca/complexity/.

Candidates should have received or will soon receive a PhD in mathematics,
theoretical physics or a related discipline. Chimera states have been
demonstrated previously in simple homogeneous Kuramoto oscillator systems,
however, they have only been recently demonstrated to exist in physical
systems. Postdoctoral candidates will be expected to have prior expertise
in analyzing Wilson-Cowan or Kuramoto Oscillator systems, in addition to
analyzing experimental data from in vivo and in vitro neural recordings. A
general background in complex networks, neuroscience, computational physics
or nonlinear dynamics is beneficial. The position will be sponsored by the
University of Calgary’s Hotchkiss Brain Institute and targets candidates of
the highest caliber. Possible start dates are between July 1, 2020 and
January 1, 2021. The start date has to be within five years of being
awarded a PhD degree. The position is for two years and includes an annual
stipend of $50,000 including benefits.

Applicants should submit their application package including a cover
letter, CV with a list of publications, reprints of (up to) three most
relevant publications, brief statement of research interests and their
possible start dates in PDF format to wilten.nicola at ucalgary.ca or
davidsen at phas.ucalgary.ca. Applicants should arrange for at least two
letters of reference to be sent as well. Review of applications will begin
February 3, 2020 and continue until the position is filled. For additional
information and informal inquiries, please contact Dr. Wilten Nicola or Dr.
Jörn Davidsen.

*About the University of Calgary*

The University of Calgary is a leading Canadian university located in the
nation’s most enterprising city. The university has a clear strategic
direction to become one of Canada’s top five research universities, where
innovative teaching and groundbreaking research go hand in hand, and where
we fully engage the communities we both serve and lead. The strategy is
called Eyes High, inspired by our Gaelic motto, which translates to ‘I will
lift up my eyes.’

*About Calgary*

Named a cultural capital of Canada and one of the best places to live in
the world, Calgary is a city of leaders – in business, community,
philanthropy and volunteerism. Canada’s fastest-growing major city, is
vibrant and multicultural with a population of more than 1,000,000. Calgarians
benefit from the strongest economy in the nation and enjoy more days of
sunshine per year than any other major Canadian city. Calgary is less than
an hour’s drive from the majestic Rocky Mountains and Banff National Park
and boasts the most extensive urban pathway and bikeway network in North
America.

*Wilten Nicola*, PhD
Assistant Professor
Cell Biology and Anatomy Department
University of Calgary
HMRB 113, 3330 Hospital Drive NW
Calgary, Alberta, CANADA T2N 1N4
T: 1.403.220.4973
wilten.nicola at ucalgary.ca

The University of Calgary is a global intellectual hub located in Canada’s
most enterprising city. In our spirited, high-quality learning environment,
students thrive in programs made rich by research, hands-on experiences and
entrepreneurial thinking. Our strategy drives us to be recognized as one of
Canada’s top five research universities,
engaging the communities we both serve and lead. This strategy is called
Eyes High, inspired by the university's Gaelic motto, which translates as
'I will lift up my eyes.' For more information, visit ucalgary.ca/eyeshigh.