[Comp-neuro] Neural coding in high dimensional, nonlinear systems workshop in Paris

Trang-Anh Nghiem tranganh.nghiem at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 16:36:32 CET 2020

Dear Colleagues,

We are delighted to announce that our workshop on *neural coding in high
dimensional, nonlinear systems* will be held on *March 24th-25 2020*. The
event is organised by the European Institute for Theoretical Neuroscience
(EITN) and will take place at the Institute for Advanced Study (IAS) on the
Île Saint-Louis in central Paris.

*Conference abstract*
In this workshop we address mechanisms by which brains encode information.
We will discuss how neurons - leaky, stochastic channels - interact
nonlinearly to entrain synchrony and resonance phenomena thereby reducing
dimensionality in dynamics of the cell assemblies coding particular
representations. From unconscious to conscious brain states, spontaneous
neural signals increase in dimensionality. Since neural codes likely lie on
low dimensional manifolds, we explore collapses in dimensionality within
encoding networks as mechanisms supporting neural information specifically
in conscious states. We aim to bring together researchers in neuroscience,
mathematics, physics, and computer science to explore substrates promoting
self-organization of neural dynamics, toward a robust understanding of
neural codes important for reverse engineering next generation biomimetic
computing architectures.

*Confirmed speakers*- Mallory Carlu (Centre National de la Recherche
Scientifique)
- Damien Depannemaecker (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique)
- Alain Destexhe (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique)
- Leon Glass (McGill University)
- Jennifer Goldman (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique)
- Julie Grollier (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique/Thales)
- Hermann Haken (Universität Stuttgart)
- Vincent Hakim (Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris)
- Viktor Jirsa (Aix-Marseille University)
- Trang-Anh Nghiem (Ecole Normale Supérieure de Paris)
- Maris Ozols (University of Amsterdam)
- Wolf Singer (Ernst Strüngmann Institute, Max Planck Society)
- David Ruelle (Paris-Saclay University)
- Núria Tort-Colet (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique)
- Sacha van Albada (Forschungszentrum Jülich)

*Attendance is free but registration is mandatory due to a limited number
of seats. To apply for registration, please visit the conference website*:
https://neuralcoding.sciencesconf.org/.

Looking forward,
Best wishes,

The organisers: