[Comp-neuro] Post-doctoral scientist position at the Steinmetz Lab, University of Washington, Seattle

Nick Steinmetz nick.steinmetz at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 21:15:54 CEST 2020

The Steinmetz Lab at the University of Washington in Seattle (
www.steinmetzlab.net) is seeking applications for a position as a
post-doctoral scientist. The scientist will work on data analysis and
modeling in order to advance our large-scale electrophysiology technologies
and our understanding of distributed computation across the brain. The
primary focus of the position is the ‘Neuropixels Ultra’ project, in which
we are developing novel electrophysiological technologies in collaboration
with colleagues at the Allen Institute for Brain Science and with Johns
Hopkins University. In addition to work on that specific project, the
scientist will have access to cutting-edge large-scale datasets that
combine behavior, electrophysiology, imaging, and optogenetics, and will
have the ability to work creatively on questions of their own choosing,
including helping to guide novel experimental data collection as necessary.
The position is funded for 3 years by an NIH BRAIN Initiative grant, and is
eligible to start immediately. It is expected that the scientist will
eventually be based in Seattle, but a remote start is negotiable
considering health concerns related to the ongoing global pandemic.

The successful candidate is expected to have a Ph.D. in neuroscience or in
relevant quantitative fields such as physics, computer science, statistics,
or mathematics, and is expected to have a strong background and interest in
data analysis methods in neuroscience, including such approaches as signal
processing, linear algebra, and dynamical systems.

We are located at the University of Washington, and have close
collaborations with the Computational Neuroscience Center, the Swartz
Center for Theoretical Neuroscience, the UW Institute for Neuroengineering,
and the Allen Institute for Brain Science, which together create a lively
community of computationally-minded neuroscientists on and near campus.

The Steinmetz Lab is committed to making neuroscience a more open and
inclusive field, so we strongly encourage applications from individuals
with non-traditional backgrounds or from underrepresented groups.

To apply, please send a CV and a brief statement of your background and
interest in the position to Nick Steinmetz at nick.steinmetz at gmail.com.
Informal inquiries are welcome - please get in touch if you would like more
information! We aim to start this position as soon as possible so please be
in touch by Friday Aug 21.