[Comp-neuro] NIH-funded Postdoc / Software Engineer position to work on tool for multiscale modeling of brain circuits
salvadordura at gmail.com
Sun Sep 22 00:47:32 CEST 2019
A Postdoc or Software Engineer position is available at the State University of New York (SUNY) Downstate Medical Center (Brooklyn, New York) to develop and disseminate NetPyNE, a tool for data-driven multiscale modeling of brain circuits. The position is funded by a recently awarded 5-year NIH grant. For more details on the software tool see our recent eLife publication (https://elifesciences.org/articles/44494 <https://elifesciences.org/articles/44494>) and tool website (www.netpyne.org <http://www.netpyne.org/>).
The successful candidate would be a salaried employee of the University with a competitive remuneration and benefits package. The position is initially for 1 year with renewal of up to 5 years.
- Improve the software tool to ensure its reliability, robustness and reproducibility.
- Collaborate with an external software company to extend the tool's graphical user interface (GUI).
- Update the tool's online documentation and develop interactive tutorials.
- Organize, prepare and teach conference workshops/tutorials and yearly courses to train users.
- Provide ongoing support to neuroscience researchers across the world who use the tool to model different brain regions and phenomena (see www.netpyne.org/models <http://www.netpyne.org/models> and www.netpyne.org/forum <http://www.netpyne.org/forum>)
- Encourage, coordinate and manage open source code contributions from interns, graduate students or researchers (usually online via GitHub: https://github.com/Neurosim-lab/netpyne <https://github.com/Neurosim-lab/netpyne>).
- Continue ongoing collaborations with other neuroscience initiatives, including Open Source Brain (www.opensourcebrain.org <http://www.opensourcebrain.org/>), Neuroscience Gateway (www.nsgportal.org <http://www.nsgportal.org/>), Human Neocortical Neurosolver (www.hnn.brown.edu <http://www.hnn.brown.edu/>) and Human Brain Project Collaboratory (www.humanbrainproject.eu <http://www.humanbrainproject.eu/>).
- MSc (or equivalent degree) in Engineering, Computer Science or related discipline.
- Expertise programming in Python, including tools for scientific computing (numpy, scipy, pandas, etc), with 5+ years of demonstrable experience.
- Experience (3+ years) in collaborative software development as part of a team.
- Experience writing unit tests, debugging code, using profiling tools and refactoring existing code bases to improve maintainability.
- Proficiency with Git/Github and Linux (shell scripting, ssh, etc)
- Experience giving presentations, tutorials and/or product demonstrations.
- Spoken and written English language proficiency
- Experience in research/academic environment and/or neuroscience background.
- Experience with the NEURON simulator using the Python interpreter.
- Experience running parallelized large-scale simulations on supercomputers.
- Experience in data science, data visualization and machine learning.
How to apply:
Please send your CV, a brief cover letter, and contact information for 3 references to Salvador Dura-Bernal (salvaordura at gmail.com <mailto:salvaordura at gmail.com>)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Comp-neuro