[Comp-neuro] Research Assistant in Learning Algorithms for Neuromorphic Computing at the University of Applied Sciences Stralsund on the shores of the Baltic Sea.
andre.gruening at hochschule-stralsund.de
Tue Sep 17 12:01:44 CEST 2019
In the lab of Prof Gruening and within the EU-funded research project
"The Human Brain Project" we are offering a fixed-term post until
31/03/2020 with the perspective of a further extension subject to
continued project funding.
The formal job ad can be found at
German only), but feel free to contact me informally in person and in
English at <mailto:andre.gruening at hochschule-stralsund.de>.
You will be working in the area of artificial intelligence based on
neuromorphic hardware. Neuromorphic hardware is a modern and active
area of research with the aim to design devices for artificial
intelligence that are based on the spike-based operation of biological
nervous systems. The energy consumption of such systems for example
promises to be an order of magnitude less than classical AI
systems. Neuromorphic systems are being developed within academic
research as well as in industry. The work will be carried out in
close cooperation with Dr J Schemmel (University Heidelberg) and Prof
Steve Furber (University of Manchester, one of the co-inventors of the
Your job responsibilities include the following:
- Contribution to and cooperation within the international framework
of the EU/H2020 Flagship project “The Human Brain Project”, see
<https://www.humanbrainproject.eu/> in the area described above.
- The development, implementation and evaluation of learning rules for
artificial neural networks on neuromorphic hardware.
- Project management including financial reporting.
We expect from you:
- A good MSc degree or a PhD in a relevant area, for example computer
science, mathematics, physics, cognitive and neuroscience or
- Programming experience, for example Python, C, C++. Experience with
embedded systems is a plus.
- Expertise in the area of neuronal networks.
- Keen interest to familiarise yourself with the neuroscientific
foundations of the project.
- Solid mathematical expertise.
- Experience with Unix-like operating systems.
- Experience in the write up of scientific reports and
publications. Experience with LaTeX is a plus.
- Experience in presenting research results.
- A conscientious, independent and self-motivated attitude towards
- A diverse, interesting and challenging job at an innovative, modern
and family friendly institution in the lively world-heritage and
Hanseatic town of Stralsund.
- The opportunity to pursue a PhD where applicable.
- A work contract subject to the collective labour agreement of the
public service of the German federal states (TB-L).
- Remuneration up to pay grade 13 subject to personal and collective
- 38 hrs/week; part-time and flexible work is possible.
The University of Applied Science Stralsund is keen to increase the
proportion of female employees in all areas where they are
underrepresented. We therefore expressly invite qualified women to
apply. As a certified family-friendly institution we support actions
to reconcile family and job. Childcare can be arranged for a potential
future interview. At an equal level of professional aptitude,
applicants with recognised disabilities or equivalent (please provide
evidence) will be preferred.
For details of the job description, please contact Prof André Grüning
(E-Mail: andre.gruening at hochschule-stralsund.de).
According to §68 Abs 3 PersVG M-V, the Employee Committee
(Personalrat) gets involved into HR matters for research staff only on
the candidate’s request. If desired, please include such request in
free form in your application documents.
Please send your job application with all relevant documents in a
single pdf file to
- bewerbungpersonal at hochschule-stralsund.de or by mail to
- Hochschule Stralsund
Dezernat Personal, Haushalt und Controlling
Zur Schwedenschanze 15
on or before the deadline of 06.10.2019.
The protection of your personal data is very important to us. We will
therefore collect, process and utilise any data arising in the
application process only in line with the applicable data protection
As application documents cannot be returned, please submit copies
only. The University of Applied Sciences Stralsund does not cover any
Prof. Dr. André Grüning
Mathematik und Künstliche Intelligenz
Fakultät Elektrotechnik und Informatik
Mathematics and Computational Intelligence
Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
University of Applied Sciences Stralsund
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 488 bytes
Desc: OpenPGP digital signature
More information about the Comp-neuro