[Comp-neuro] Tenure Track Faculty Positions in Biomathematics

Cheng Ly cly at vcu.edu
Thu Aug 29 17:01:21 CEST 2019

Assistant Professor of Mathematics

Position: Two faculty positions (9-month) as Assistant Professors of
Mathematics to join the vibrant biomathematics group in the Department of
Mathematics and Applied Mathematics at Virginia Commonwealth University
beginning August 16, 2020. The Department and University web pages may be
found at http://www.math.vcu.edu and http://www.vcu.edu. The Ph.D. program
web page may be found at http://www.sysm.vcu.edu. Responsibilities of
Position: Maintain a vigorous research program and a record of excellent
teaching at both the undergraduate and graduate levels.

Qualifications: A Ph.D. in Mathematics, or related field, is required at
the time of the appointment. We are seeking candidates with a clearly
defined research agenda and expertise in biomathematics research with an
emphasis in one or more of the following fields: stochastic, computational,
or multi-scale modeling, complex networks and/or systems, uncertainty
quantification, and parameter identification.

Preference will also be given to candidates with postdoctoral experience,
and a demonstrated potential to secure external funding. Applicants must
have a record of successful teaching, as well as experience with working in
and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment, or the
commitment to do so.

The Department: The mission of the Department of Mathematics and Applied
Mathematics is to offer a strong undergraduate and graduate education, with
an increasing focus on the development of cross-disciplinary efforts that
will prepare our students for real-world applications and stimulating
employment and career opportunities. Key current objectives of the
department include the continued development of our Ph.D. program, which
emphasizes applications of mathematics to the medical and biological
sciences and research in both applied mathematics and theoretical discrete
mathematics, the improvement of student outcomes in our lower level
courses, the continued strengthening of our department's track in secondary
education preparation and mathematics education outreach initiatives. We
seek ambitious faculty members to help grow and strengthen the department
by expanding teaching, research, and grant activity.

How to Apply for the Position: To apply, candidates should submit
electronically (https://www.vcujobs.com/postings/92989) the following: a
cover letter that delineates how they meet the qualifications outlined
above, a current curriculum vitae, contact information for each of the four
references. In addition, candidates need to submit electronically (
https://www.mathjobs.org/ <https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/14339>) the
following: a cover letter, an AMS Standard Cover Sheet, a current
curriculum vitae, and detailed statements about teaching and their current
research activities. Applicants also should include four letters of
recommendation. One of the letters of recommendation must address the
applicant's effectiveness as a teacher. Letters should be submitted
electronically through www.mathjobs.org
<https://www.mathjobs.org/jobs/jobs/14339>.

Applicants must be eligible to work in the U.S.A. The deadline for
applications is October 25, 2019.

"Virginia Commonwealth University is an equal opportunity. Affirmative
Action University providing access to education and employment without
regard to age, race, color, national origin, gender, religion, sexual
orientation, veterans status, political affiliation or disability."
Cheng Ly
https://www.people.vcu.edu/~cly
Associate Professor
Department of Statistical Sciences and Operations Research
Virginia Commonwealth University
P.O. Box 843083
Richmond, Virginia 23284-3083