[Comp-neuro] Professorship in Auditory Neuro-Engineering (Ghent University)
s.verhulst at ugent.be
Thu Sep 13 16:29:51 CEST 2018
We have an opening for a research professorship in Auditory Neuro-engineering to foster interdisciplinary approaches to hearing science within the Faculties of Engineering and Medical sciences at Ghent University. The succesful candidate will become a member of the Ghent Auditory Science Platform (www.gasp.ugent.be)<http://www.gasp.ugent.be)/>.
T +32 9 33 14 844
Dept. Information Technology
Technology Campus, iGent, Technologiepark 15, 9052 Zwijnaarde (BE)
T secretariaat +32 9 264 33 21 / F +32 9 264 35 93
More information and application:
Job Title: Professor in Auditory Neuro-engineering
Req ID 11671 - Posted 12/09/2018 - Professorial staff - 100% - Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
→ Apply until 12/10/2018 23:59 CET
→ Discipline: Auditory Neuro-engineering
→ 100% Associate professor / Full professor / Senior full professor
→ Reference number: 201806/ZAP-21/65-01
ABOUT GHENT UNIVERSITY
Ghent University is one of the most important education and research institutions in the Low Countries. On a daily basis, over 9,000 staff members and 41,000 students implement its motto "Dare to Think". Ghent University's mission statement is characterised by qualitative education, internationally renowned research and a pluralistic social responsibility.
Within her vision on the importance of inter-disciplinary research, Ghent University wishes to stimulate cooperation between different faculties. One of the initiatives that is deployed in this context is the Ghent Auditory Science Platform (GASP; www.gasp.ugent.be). Auditory science and auditory medicine are increasingly engineering driven. Hence, GASP combines expertise from various medical and engineering disciplines with an additional touch of psychology. This inter-faculty collaboration will be supported by a full time (100%) associate or full professor in auditory neuro-engineering. The professor in auditory neuro-engineering will further develop research in auditory science at the interface between technology and neurology. The focus will be on the possibility to couple electronic and opto-electronic components more effectively to the auditory nerve, the auditory brainstem and cortex. By extending the team of professors that conducts research in the area of auditory science, Ghent University wants to strengthen its position as a leading research institute in this area.
This position is part of a unique strategic investment by Ghent University: 21 new professorships are embedded in interdisciplinary consortia, designed to generate a significant societal impact with their research. For more information, see: www.ugent.be/21zap
You lecture a limited number of course units in the discipline of audiology and biomedical engineering. These courses are situated in the faculty of medicine and the faculty of engineering. In addition you will be the promoter of Master dissertations and PhDs in biomedical sciences, audiology, and engineering.
You conduct research in the discipline of auditory neuro-engineering. In particular you study the interaction between human substrate – auditory nerve/brainstem/cortex – and high tech chips and electronic and opto-electronic implants. In this way you contribute to the innovation goals of the GASP team in relation to:
* biological strategies for use in inner ear therapeutics: gene therapy, stem-cell therapy, and molecular therapy;
* auditory nerve fiber stimulation, resynchronizing, brain-computer interfacing;
* stimulating brain plasticity (e.g. post deafness, in tinnitus and/or decreased sound tolerance cases), and individualized interventions;
* cochlear nerve sensing and brainstem processing (auditory processing on implanted chip);
* neuro-acoustic phenotype determination allowing for personalized hearing deficit treatment when needed.
You take part in the internal and external service provision of the Ghent Auditory Science Platform.
* You have already conducted eminent academic research in the given discipline, which is clearly reflected in publications in high-quality academic journals and peer-reviewed books;
* You are capable of initiating, supervising and acquiring the necessary funding for academic research;
* You are didactically skilled to teach university students to develop academic competences;
* Recommended are:
* International mobility, among other things thanks to research stays at institutions external to the one where you acquired your highest academic degree;
* Positively evaluated experience in provided or organized academic lecturing;
* Professionalisation of education.
Skills / Attitude
* You are quality-oriented;
* You take initiative;
* You have leadership qualities;
* You have good communication skills (English proficiency) and make connections with colleagues and industry.
* You hold a thesis-based doctorate or a diploma or certificate that is recognised as equivalent (article V.20 Codex Higher Education) in biomedical sciences, biomedical engineering, medical physics, neuro-engineering, or doctorate in medicine with a strong emphasis on technical aspect, or a doctorate in electronics/ICT engineering or engineering physics/mathematics with a strong emphasis on biomedical aspects.
Upon evaluation of a foreign (non-EU) diploma, a certificate of equivalence may still have to be requested at NARIC. If this is the case, we advise you to initiate this recognition procedure as soon as possible. You are required to have the recognition no later than on the date of your appointment.
* You have at least two years of postdoctoral experience on 2 October 2018. This term of two years is determined by the date written on the above-mentioned required diploma.
Depending on the specific profile of the selected candidate, the degree of associate professor or full professor is awarded. This will be decided by the University Board as proposed by the Faculty Board.
* We offer you a permanent appointment in the starting grade of associate professor or full professor, without prejudice to the possibility of a temporary appointment offered in article V.28 of the Codex of Higher Education.
The recruitment is possible no sooner than 1 February 2019.
Ghent University reserves a budget of €200.000 in its Special Research Fund for each of the newly appointed professors under the strategic “21ZAP” scheme, equaling the value of 1 PhD student for 4 years. This research budget is allocated out of competition but is subject to approval of the applicant’s research proposal by Ghent University’s Research Council.
Ghent University is committed to properly welcoming new professorial staff members and offering them appropriate guidance. The basic teacher training and courses of 'Dutch' and 'English' for foreign-speaking lecturers are only a few examples of our wide range of training and education opportunities. Furthermore, each Ghent University staff member can count on a number of benefits such as a bike allowance, reimbursement of public transport commuting costs, daycare, a wide range of sports facilities and EcoCheques. A complete overview of all our employee benefits (in Dutch).
Ghent University also invests in welcoming international professorial staff. It offers various housing options, a relocation bonus, the International School for school-aged children (with a discount on the tuition fee), support when registering at the City of Ghent, support with the procedure of family reunification and other administrative matters in connection with moving to Ghent. More information can be found on www.ugent.be/en/living and www.ugent.be/en/staff.
GENDER AND DIVERSITY
Ghent University conducts an equal opportunities policy and encourages everyone to apply. Ghent University also strives for a gender balance. Female applications are thus especially welcomed.
After the final application date, all received applications will be sent to the assessment committee assembled for this vacancy. This committee will first evaluate the application files. Therefore it will match all elements of the file against the required expertise for the position in terms of education, research and scientific service. Based on this deliberation, relevant candidates will be shortlisted to be invited for further selection (interview, possible presentation or test lecture …). Afterwards, the committee will rank the suitable candidates and present this ranking to the Faculty Board. The advice of the Faculty Board will then be presented to the University Board for approval.
Candidates are asked to further discuss their top 5 most important publications or other academic achievements with the highest impact. Next to academic publications, the candidate is thus also able to show merit of knowledge transfer by academic dissemination, social valorisation, public awareness, seminars or conference presentations. These competences are also taken into account when evaluating the candidates.
Candidates are also asked to prepare a research proposal. The research proposal can be taken into account by the selection committee in order to assess the candidate’s potential contribution to the consortium; nevertheless, the evaluation of the proposal itself by the Research Council will not be initiated until after the professorship appointment in order to award the €200,000 research budget.
The evaluation of the required international mobility is broad and partly takes the gender perspective into account, thus not only considering longer stays abroad by also other forms of internationalisation.
Pregnancy leave, prolonged sick leave, parental leave, filial leave or other forms of absence are taken into account when evaluating the available time for the realisation of academic output.
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online through the e-recruitment system before the application deadline (see above). We do not accept late applications or applications that are not sent through the online system.
Your application must include the following documents:
* In the field ‘Cv’: the professorial staff application form (+ all annexes mentioned in the form), merged into one pdf file.
* In the field ‘Cover letter’: your application letter in pdf format
* In the field ‘Diploma’: a transcript of your doctoral degree. If you have a foreign diploma in a language other than our national languages (Dutch, French or German) or English, please add a translation in one of the mentioned languages.
* In the field ‘Certificate of equivalence’: only for diplomas awarded outside the European Union: certificate of equivalence (NARIC) (if already in you possession)
Note that the maximum file size for each field is 10 MB.
The strategic goals of this vacancy.
For further information regarding these vacancies, please contact Prof. Ingeborg Dhooge (ingeborg.dhooge at UGent.be, +32 332 23 31) at the Faculty Medicine and Health Sciences, Department of Otorhinolaryngology or Prof. Dick Botteldooren (dick.botteldooren at UGent.be, +32 9 264 9968) at the Faculty of Engineering and Architecture, Department of Information Technology.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Comp-neuro