[Comp-neuro] Open Ph.D. position on whole-brain calcium imaging at Technical University of Munich

Gil Westmeyer gil.westmeyer at tum.de
Sat Jul 14 17:01:50 CEST 2018

We are currently looking for a Ph.D. Student interested in functionally
dissecting whole-brain calcium imaging data with cellular resolution
obtained from zebrafish larvae undergoing systematic perturbations of
neuronal activity.
Our laboratory (westmeyerlab.org) at the School of Medicine of  Technical
University of Munich (https://www.tum.de/nc/en/homepage/)  and The
Institute for Biological and Medical Imaging (IBMI)
http://www.helmholtz-muenchen.de/en/ibmi/ focuses on biological engineering
of molecular sensors and actuators for neurobehavioral imaging.
We have built a molecular imaging pipeline consisting of state-of-the-art
fluorescent imaging techniques including neurobehavioral methods to
simultaneously image behavior and brain activity in freely behaving animals
(see for example NeuBtracker.org). We complement these dataset with
exoeriments conducted by Light Sheet Microscopy and Light Field microscopy
to obtain imaging volumes with high temporal sampling and confocal /
2-photon microscopy. We also capture calcium signaling from adult zebrafish
and rodent brains using combined acquisitions with optoacoustic tomography
or MRI.
For our inter-disciplinary work, we are actively collaborating within
Europe and in particular also with MIT and Caltech.
If you are interested in computational analyses of whole-brain calcium
imaging data, please visit westmeyerlab.org and submit a brief statement of
your research interests and your CV to Gil Westmeyer.