[Comp-neuro] Fwd: Postdoctoral Research Associate- Neural Interfaces

Alistair McEwan alistair.mcewan at sydney.edu.au
Wed Jul 11 00:37:47 CEST 2018

Postdoctoral Research Associate- Neural Interfaces

   - Join an organisation that encourages progressive thinking
   - 2 year Full Time Fixed Term role with a possibility of extension.
   Located at Camperdown Campus
   - Remuneration package: $90K-96K p.a. base salary and competitive
   employer’s contribution to superannuation

*School of Electrical and Information Engineering*

*Faculty of Engineering & Information Technologies*

*Reference No. 1201/0618F*

*About the opportunity *

Applications are invited for a *Postdoctoral Research Associate- Neural
Interfaces* for long-term implantable therapy in cerebral palsy with
Professors Alistair McEwan and Gregg Suaning in the Bioelectronics and
Bionics research groups at the University of Sydney, Australia. The role is
expected to undertake research and coordinate experimentation and
performance testing of an implantable neural stimulator for the acquired
brain injuries including cerebral palsy.

In this project we will examine electrical stimulation as an established
approach for the restoration of muscle movement, but with currently limited
utility as a therapy. There are two primary causes for this: poor
selectivity in the activation of desired muscles, that may result in
unwanted contractions; and the co-activation of efferent (e.g. motor) and
afferent (e.g. sensory) fibres. In this ex-vivo study we focus upon solving
these two key issues so that electrical stimulation can become a viable
therapy in the treatment of acquired brain injuries and in particular,
cerebral palsy. Targeted stimulation or blocking of peripheral fibres that
lead to rigidity and pain would alleviate these two major areas of unmet
need in cerebral palsy.

The project involves developing an ex-vivo model and collecting
experimental evidence of nerve fibre selectivity for selective activation
of targeted muscle groups, capacity to release hypertonic muscles and
management of pain to lead to the design of an implantable device for the
rehabilitation of people with cerebral palsy.

We aim to achieve improved efficacy in selective activation of targeted
muscle groups, provide the capacity to release hypertonic muscles and
manage pain; and devise a new implantable device for the rehabilitation of
people with cerebral palsy to manage muscle movement.

We collaborate with labs at Harvard, Case Western, The University of
Freiburg, and UCL.

More information can be found here:

http://sydney.edu.au/engineering/our-research/biomedical-engineering/
institute-of-biomedical-engineering-and-technology/biomedical-devices-and-
instrumentation.html

https://www.cerebralpalsy.org.au/sstposts/StoryId1522298671037

https://www.cerebralpalsy.org.au/sstposts/StoryId1528960251002

*About you*

The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement;
inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the
importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of
research excellence. We are looking for a *Postdoctoral Research Associate-
Neural Interfaces* with:

   - PhD in Biomedical engineering or a similar field such as
   bio-electronics, bio-physics or neuroscience.
   - An understanding of electronics, signal processing, materials, and
   neurostimulation techniques.
   - Interest in working with a multi-disciplinary team including
   physiotherapists, clinicians and families living with cerebral palsy

Please refer to the Candidate Information Pack for further information. To
be considered, it is essential that you upload a resume and address the
online selection criteria.

*About us*

Cerebral Palsy is the most common childhood disability with life-long
impact, no cure, uncertain origins and delayed diagnosis. We work with the
Cerebral Palsy Alliance research foundation to develop technology for
treatment, intervention, prevention and cure. We focus on opportunities for
control of muscle groups, spasticity and sensory perception including pain.
While people with spinal cord injury have been the target of motor
prosthesis to date there are additional challenges to explore in cerebral
palsy such as developmental differences and viable afferent pathways that
may convey pain and other sensory signals. We see opportunities in both
central and peripheral stimulation and monitoring. Our group has a
background in impedance recordings which might be used as a novel
monitoring tool or to optimise stimulation patterns. We also use electrical
tissue properties to better identify pathological tissue and guide
electrical stimulation, electroporation and heating in the management of
electrical signaling pathways.

The University of Sydney is ranked number 1 in the world for physical
therapy, sports therapy and rehabilitation and consistently ranks first or
second in Australia for Engineering, Science and Medicine. The University
is situated in the vibrant international city of Sydney close to some of
the world’s best beaches and natural environments.

Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led the
research and teaching to improve the world around us. We believe in
education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These
same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and
underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australias first
university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and
research excellence. Across 9 campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and
non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.

We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings
opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention,
challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.

Specific enquiries can be directed to Professor Alistair McEwan at
alistair.mcewan at sydney.edu.au

For more information about the position, or if you require reasonable
adjustment or support filling out this application, please contact Emmen
Saeed, Recruitment Partner on emmen.saeed at sydney.edu.au .

If you would like to learn more, please refer to the Candidate Information
Pack for the position description and further details

*Closing date: 11:30pm 5 August 2018 (Sydney time)*

The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion.
Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse
backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with
disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and
Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.

The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.

Candidate Information Pack
<https://sydney.nga.net.au/publicfiles/sydney/jobs/9B19927D-F815-451C-9D4D-A90700B456A1/Candidate%20Information%20pack.pdf>
How to apply:

   - Start your application by clicking the "begin" button.
   - Login to an existing account
   <https://sydney.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.gotoLogin&CurATC=EXT&CurBID=949319bc%2D8898%2D4f11%2Dac4b%2D9db401358504&jobsListKey=a77c4808%2D9b61%2D452b%2D88f1%2Da16428d78e2c&jobid=9B19927D%2DF815%2D451C%2D9D4D%2DA90700B456A1&returnToEvent=jobs%2EprocessJobSearch&persistVariables=CurATC,CurBID,jobsListKey,jobid,returnToEvent&lid=96512640002>
    or reset your password
   <https://sydney.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=reg.forgottenPassword&CurATC=EXT&CurBID=949319bc-8898-4f11-ac4b-9db401358504>
   - Preview Application Form
   <https://sydney.nga.net.au/cp/index.cfm?event=jobs.previewApplication&CurATC=EXT&CurBID=949319bc%2D8898%2D4f11%2Dac4b%2D9db401358504&jobsListKey=a77c4808%2D9b61%2D452b%2D88f1%2Da16428d78e2c&jobid=9B19927D%2DF815%2D451C%2D9D4D%2DA90700B456A1&returnToEvent=jobs%2EprocessJobSearch&persistVariables=CurATC,CurBID,jobsListKey,jobid,returnToEvent&lid=96512640004>

--
ALISTAIR MCEWAN |  Ainsworth Chair of Technology and Innovation, Cerebral
Palsy Alliance,

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
School of Electrical and Information Engineering, J03
The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 7256 | F +61 2 9351 3847
E alistair.mcewan at sydney.edu.au | W sydney.edu.au

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised
use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please
delete it and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.