[Comp-neuro] Conducting Interviews at CNS*2018 - Post-docs @ EPFL, Switzerland

Eilif Muller eilif.mueller at epfl.ch
Mon Jul 9 23:12:14 CEST 2018

Dear Comp-Neuro community,

I wish to inform you of openings for fully funded post-doctoral
positions in "Biophysical Neuron Modeling and Dendritic Computation",
and in "Simulation Neuroscience" (see details below), at the EPFL Blue
Brain Project, Biotech Campus, Geneva, Switzerland.

I will be at the CNS*2018 in Seattle, July 13-18.  I warmly encourage
interested candidates who will be there to get in touch with me
by email (incl. CV) to arrange for an in-person interview.

For those not going to CNS this year, applications by email are also
highly encouraged (see below).

Best regards,
Eilif

-------------
Dr. Eilif Muller
Section Manager - Simulation Neuroscience - Cells & Circuits

EPFL - Blue Brain Project
Biotech Campus
Chemin des Mines 9
1202 Geneva
Switzerland

Tel: +41 21 693 0698
Fax: +41 21 693 5350
www: http://bluebrain.epfl.ch/page-77926-en.html
www: http://neuralensemble.org/people/eilifmuller

The EPFL Blue Brain Project (BBP), located on the Campus Biotech in
Geneva, Switzerland, applies advanced data-driven simulations,
neuroinformatics, data analytics, and HPC-based approaches to the
challenge of understanding the structure and function of the mammalian
brain in health and disease.

Within the Cells & Circuits Section of the BBP, we are looking to fill
the following post-doc positions:

*** Post-doctoral Researcher in Simulation Neuroscience ***
Postition Shortname: "PostDoc-SimNeuro"

We are looking for exceptional candidates to join a diverse and highly
motivated multi-disciplinary team working at the interface of
neuroscience, physics and computer science. Do you have a PhD in
neuroscience, computational neuroscience, computer science, physics or
related field, and experience in scientific computing with python or
the NEURON simulation environment? Are you a constructive team player
with excellent writing and communication skills who thrives in
collaborative environments? Then we would like to hear from you!

Several research topics across the scales of neuroscience (subcellular
molecular processes, ion channels, synapses, neurons, and circuits) in
systems such as mammalian neocortex, thalamus, and hippocampus are
possible based on the expertise and interests of the candidate.

*** Post-doctoral Researcher in Biophysical Neuron Modeling and
Dendritic Integration ***
Postition Shortname: "PostDoc-NeuronModeling"

The primary objective for this position is to strengthen on-going
biophysical neuron modeling and validation efforts in the project, by
undertaking original scientific research to characterize the role of
intrinsic cellular mechanisms in computation and dynamics at the
dendritic, neuronal and network level.  Candidates are expected to
supervise computational neuroscience students, and to develop an
intimate knowledge of the employed software in order to interface with
engineering teams. The position is in close collaboration with
electrophysiology labs, and modeling will go hand in hand with
available and newly acquired experimental data.

Your profile :
* PhD in neuroscience, computational neuroscience, physics or related
  field
* Expert in NEURON and multi-compartment conductance-based modeling as
  demonstrated by strong publication record
* Expert in scientific computing (python, scipy, numpy, hdf5, gsl,
  Linux, etc.)
* Knowledge of whole cell electrophysiology, ion channel experiments
* Experience in automated neuron model optimization techniques
* Experience in other programming languages (C++), parallel computing
  and software development (unit testing, continuous integration,
  version control, debugging and documentation) is of advantage
* Experience in supervision of students and teaching
* Strong team player and fluent English in speech and writing

We offer:
* An internationally visible project in simulation-based research in
  neuroscience having a leading role in the EU FET flagship “Human
  Brain Project”
* A young, dynamic, inter-disciplinary, and international working
  environment
* Very competitive salary

Application deadlines: Until positions are filled
Term of employment: Fixed-term (CDD)
Work rate: 100%
Duration: 1 year (renewable)

Contact:
Please get in touch with me directly by email to arrange an interview at
CNS*2018. Otherwise, applicants should submit a cover letter and a
detailed CV in PDF format only, with filenames
“<surname>_<position-shortname>_CoverLetter” and
“<surname>_<positon-shortname>_CV” electronically to jobs.bbp at epfl.ch

Please refer to the position title in the “subject” field.