[Comp-neuro] Call for a computer scientist (or related, with machine learning experience) interested in brain function.

Agustin Petroni agustinpetroni at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 20:52:07 CET 2018

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Diego A. Laplagne <diego at neuro.ufrn.br>
Date: Wed, Feb 7, 2018 at 3:09 PM

Amigos,

Still looking for candidates. If you can think of some lists where this was
not distributed could you please send it? Thanks!

Diego

*****************
Rereading the mind. Unbiased discovery of neural correlates of behavior

We are looking for an outstanding and highly motivated candidate with solid
background in machine learning and interested in brain function.

We aim to discover new ways in which brain activity generates behavior. We
will depart from traditional approaches in neuroscience in two ways:
studying natural spontaneous behavior—as opposed to guided and
restricted—and analyzing brain signals with a naive unbiased approach.

Our group is leader in automatic quantitative monitoring of spontaneous rat
behavior and brain activity. We want you to join our team if you a) find
the prospect of developing new approaches to reading minds fascinating; b)
have a strong background in modern machine learning methods and c) are
willing to spend time with us in Natal, Brazil, where our lab is located.
Neither a background in neuroscience nor previous experience in research in
academic institutions is strictly required. The position is flexible, such
that candidates could plan their research with us as a postdoctoral stay,
part of a thesis or freelance.

Our project is supported by the prestigious Serrapilheira award. One year
of funding is guaranteed, starting early 2018, and chances for extension of
stipends is strong following good performance of the candidate.

If interested, please write in English, Spanish or Portuguese to
diego at neuro.ufrn.br with subject “People search 2018”, including a CV.
There is no deadline, but selection will close when we find our person!

Diego A. Laplagne, Ph.D.
Group leader, Behavioral Neurophysiology Lab – Brain Institute, UFRN.
http://www.neuro.ufrn.br