[Comp-neuro] Job Opening: Exploring Metrics of Consciousness in the Mouse (at the Allen Institute for Brain Science)
antona at alleninstitute.org
Tue Dec 18 19:29:46 CET 2018
A new exciting job opportunity is open at the Allen Institute for Brain Science: Scientist I – Exploring Metrics of Consciousness in the Mouse. Please apply here: http://alleninstitute.org/what-we-do/brain-science/careers/job-search/
Follow the link above and then choose the position “Scientist I – Exploring Metrics of Consciousness in the Mouse” from the list of all available positions. Please feel free to contact me with any questions: antona at alleninstitute.org<mailto:antona at alleninstitute.org>.
Scientist I – Exploring Metrics of Consciousness in the Mouse
We are seeking a Scientist to join a project dedicated to measuring consciousness in humans and animals, and establishing mechanistic underpinnings of consciousness. This is a collaboration between the laboratory of Prof. Giulio Tononi at the University of Wisconsin in Madison and scientists at the Allen Institute of Brain Science under Dr. Christof Koch, in the groups of Associate Investigators Anton Arkhipov and Shawn Olsen.
The scientist in this position will focus on estimating consciousness in the mouse brain by applying the differentiation and integrated information metrics, developed by our collaborators, to cortical neuronal activity measured in awake mice using optical physiology and electrophysiology (Neuropixels) recordings at the Allen Institute. The scientist will also contribute to the analysis of perturbative experiments in mice, where electrical stimulation will be delivered via an extracellular electrode and cortical activity will be simultaneously recorded. Studying data from these experiments under various conditions of consciousness and non-consciousness (awake, sleep, anesthesia) and ultimately with perturbations (via pharmacology and/or optogenetics), we aim to elucidate the contributions of different parts of the brain to consciousness.
The focus of this work is to extend and validate certain predictions from the Integrated Information Theory of Consciousness (IIT).
• Analyze optical physiology and electrophysiology recordings to measure differentiation and integrated information.
• In collaboration with theoreticians and experimentalists in house and at other institutions, explore how various neuronal populations and circuit architectures may underlie the trends observed in physiological recordings.
• Publish/present findings in peer-reviewed journals/scientific conferences.
• PhD degree in Neuroscience, Physics, Applied Mathematics, or related fields.
• Strong publication record
• 0-2 years’ experience in computational science such as: neuroscience and/or systems neuroscience, computational physics, biophysics, and related disciplines.
• Strong background in scientific programming is a plus.
• Candidates with strong background in experimental systems neuroscience, willing to switch to computational work, are encouraged to apply.
antona at alleninstitute.org<mailto:antona at alleninstitute.org>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Comp-neuro