[Comp-neuro] Time Dimension new research topic on Frontiers

dipanjan roy dynamicdip at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 08:10:34 CEST 2017

 Dear Colleague,Our sincere apology for cross-posting.

We would like to invite you to consider contributing an article to the
Frontiers research topic “Temporal Structure of Neural Processes Coupling
Sensory, Motor and Cognitive Functions of the Brain”.

The research topic is hosted by: Daya Gupta, Arpan Banerjee, Dipanjan Roy,
and Federica Piras

*The overarching goal of this research topic is trying to address the role
of time-dimension in cognitive functions. So far, the emphasis in past
years has been only to directly study temporal structure of neuronal data
at various scales of brain organization from single neurons at microscopic
level, LFP at mesoscopic level, and EEG/MEG at macroscopic level. However,
the mechanisms by which timing relationship of environment is entangled
with the corresponding temporal structure of neural signals are not
entirely clear. Important insights can be acquired and specific predictions
about timing can be made by developing computational models of the brain
dynamics and relating them to empirical observations. In this Research
Topic, we invite contributions based on clinical, experimental and
theoretical evidence to support the hypothesis that time-dimension is an
important bridge to integrate multi-scale observations of behaviour and
brain information processing where temporal patterns of activity in neural
networks are critical to understanding the execution of sensory, motor and
cognitive processes*.

*Concretely, our hope is that this research topic will further converge on
a consensus that deficits of timing and specific alteration of rhythmicity
are an important part of the spectrum of cognitive dysfunctions seen in a
variety of neurodegenerative and neuropsychiatric disorders, which provides
indirect, but crucial evidence that time-dimension is an integral component
of information processing in the brain underlying cognitive functions.*
  Frontiers research topics initially require the submission of an abstract
of your work, which will be considered by the topic editors to determine if
it falls within the goals of the research topic. Approved abstracts will
then be invited to submit a complete manuscript. Link to the research topic
is provided below
http://journal.frontiersin.org/researchtopic/5972/temporal-structure-of-neural-processes-coupling-sensory-motor-and-cognitive-functions-of-the-brain

Depending on the article type, Frontiers has article processing charges
(APCs). They range from free to 2490$ for original research articles or
reviews (please see http://home.frontiersin.org/about/publishing-fees). If
submitted to a Research Topic within the deadline there is a 15% reduction
for some article types. Frontiers also has a waiver program so that APCs do
not stand in the way of science.

Key dates for this research topic are as follows:

1. Abstract submission deadline – 09 June 2017
2. Manuscript submission deadline – 05 January 2018

We very much hope to include your valuable work in this area within this
research topic to help make it a key reference and a new resource for brain
dynamics, time perception research.

Yours in Neuroscience, Psychology, and Behaviour,

Daya Gupta, Arpan Banerjee, Dipanjan Roy, and Federica Piras