[Comp-neuro] Open position at Institute of Neuroinformatics (Zürich) / Institute of Neuroscience Paris Saclay (Orsay)

Nicolas Giret nicolas.giret at u-psud.fr
Mon Dec 18 14:01:01 CET 2017

*PhD or Post-Doc for neuroscientist or engineer: neural population
activity associated with a complex learned behavior*

Dear all,

We have an open position for a PhD student or Post-Doc at the interface
of engineering and neuroscience. This is a collaborative effort between
the Institute of Neuroinformatics (ETH Zurich, University of Zurich) and
the Neuroscience Paris Saclay Institute (CNRS, Université Paris Sud,
Université Paris Saclay). The goal of our collaboration is to study the
principles of vocal learning and communication in songbirds. We combine
diverse experimental and theoretical approaches to gain new insights
into higher cognitive functions associated with complex vocal behaviors
such as song learning.

We are interested in decoding neural activity associated with song
production and song learning in songbirds. We have recently developed a
system for simultaneously recording from many neurons in freely behaving
animals. Our miniature lightweight motorized 32-channel recording device
incorporates novel carbon fiber electrodes, as described in
(Guitchounts, Markowitz, Liberti, & Gardner, 2013). The project is to
refine and put this technology to use to study the mysteries of neural
population codes and to advance our understanding of how individual
neurons contribute to forming a representation of motor plans and of
sensory feedback. The engineering part of the work will be done in
Zürich, Switzerland (~1/3) and the testing will be done in Orsay, France
(~2/3).

We are looking either for a PhD student (CHF 47040 starting salary,
~40 200€) or a Post-doc (CHF 80000 starting salary 100%, ~68 500€).
Depending on the required training of the post-doc, the employment
percentage is reduced to a value between 70 and 90%.

Your Profile:

You have a MSc degree in neuroscience, electrical engineering, physics,
mathematics, biology, or computer science or you have a PhD in
neuroscience or engineering.

You are strongly interested in neuroscience.

You have expertise in signal processing and machine learning.

You like to collaborate with biologists and engineers in a nurturing
environment.

You can work independently and want to be part of a team that fosters
flexibility and innovation.

The ETH is an equal opportunity employer, we believe in people and their
ability to innovate.

If you want to apply for this position, feel inspired to send your
application material to Prof. Richard Hahnloser (rich at ini.ethz.ch
<mailto:rich at ini.ethz.ch>) and to Dr Nicolas Giret
(nicolas.giret at u-psud.fr <mailto:nicolas.giret at u-psud.fr>).

It would be great if you could circulate it around in your institute.

Best regards,

-Nicolas Giret-

--
*Chargé de Recherche CNRS*