[Comp-neuro] postdoc position in sleep and circadian rhythms modelling

Svetlana Postnova postnova at physics.usyd.edu.au
Sat Apr 29 00:20:59 CEST 2017

*Postdoctoral Research Associate in Neurophysics of Sleep-Wake Dynamics and
Circadian Rhythms*

*School of Physics Reference no.  721/0417*

*The position focuses on studying sleep-wake and circadian dynamics
phenomena in the brain using mechanism-based modelling approaches and
experimental data across various dynamical scales: from neurons to behavior*

*Full-time, fixed term for 2 years with the possibility of extension to 3
years, subject to performance, funding, and need *

*Remuneration package: $104k-112k AUD pro rata p.a. which includes leave

*About the opportunity *

Applications are sought for Postdoctoral Research Associate (Level A) in
the School of Physics in the Complex Systems Group led by Professor Peter
Robinson. The group is involved in a number of interdisciplinary research
centres, including the NHMRC Centre of Excellence for Translational Sleep
and Circadian Neurobiology (NeuroSleep), the ARC Centre of Excellence for
Integrative Brain Function (CIBF), and the Cooperative Research Centre for
Alertness, Safety, and Productivity, as well as numerous national and
international collaborations.

*About you*

The successful applicant will work with a team of researchers on a variety
of sleep-wake and circadian-related projects that underpin a wider program
of sleep-wake and circadian research, including understanding and modelling
of the relevant neurobiological mechanisms during normal sleep-wake cycles,
circadian misalignment (e.g. jetlag), and sleep restriction, as well as
prediction of dynamics in real-world conditions.

To be successful in this position you should have following:

   -  undergraduate major in physics, applied mathematics, or similar field
   - theoretical/computational PhD in physics, computational neuroscience,
   biological modelling, applied mathematics, engineering, or allied field;
   thesis must have at least been submitted for examination by the time of
   interview for this position (approximately 3 weeks after closing date).
   - experience in physiologically-based modelling of biological systems
   (as opposed to or in addition to signal analysis and statistical modelling).
   - demonstrated ability to program in Matlab , C++, or Python
   - proved research ability and evidence of self-motivation and research
   potential, including the ability to conduct research activities under
   limited supervision
   - publications in refereed journals

*Desirable criteria also apply *

*About us*

Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to
improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that
effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in
our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term
strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an
outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across
9 campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support
over 47,000 students.

We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings
opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention,
challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.

The position is full-time fixed term for two years, subject to the
completion of a satisfactory probation period for new appointees with the
possibility of extension to three years, subject to performance, funding,
and need.

*All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers
website.*  Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference
number for more information and to apply.

*Closing date:* 11:30pm 18 May 2017 (Sydney Time)

We are committed to diversity and social inclusion.  We welcome
applications from women (particularly for senior and non-traditional
roles), Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with a
disability, people who identify as LGBTIQ, and people from culturally and
linguistically diverse backgrounds.

*©* The University of Sydney

The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.

--
Dr Svetlana Postnova

CRC for Alertness Safety and Productivity
&
Complex Systems Group
School of Physics, University of Sydney
room 438, Madsen F09, NSW 2006, Australia
Phone: +61 2 9036 7971