[Comp-neuro] 4 PhD / PostDoc positions in the Institute of Neural Information Processing, Ulm University, Germany

Daniel Braun daniel.braun at uni-ulm.de
Wed Jul 13 12:13:18 CEST 2016

In the *Institute of Neural Information Processing* of the Faculty of
Engineering, Computer Science and Psychology of Ulm University there will be

*4 PhD / PostDoc positions in the field of Learning Systems*
from October 2016 in the newly established research group on “Learning
Systems”. The group is interested in the mathematical foundations of
intelligent behavior in cognitive systems, including both biological and
artificial systems, in particular the information-processing principles
underlying learning and decision-making. This requires a combined
theoretical and experimental approach. In our theoretical line of work we
use methods from machine learning, statistics, physics, information theory
and decision theory to investigate the effects of limited resources on
learning and decision-making (“bounded rationality”). In our experimental
line of work we investigate sensorimotor behavior in humans by using
virtual reality technology and robotic interfaces to study learning and
decision-making quantitatively under controlled conditions. This
interdisciplinary approach unites aspects from both basic and applied
research. On a basic level we aim at a quantitative understanding of
embodied intelligence, in particular the emergence of cognition from
sensorimotor interactions by processes of abstraction and structure
learning. On an applied level we are interested in both autonomous robotic
systems and human-machine-interactions, as sensorimotor learning and
decision-making in artificial systems constitute a cutting-edge technical
challenge. The research group is supported by the ERC-project BRISC
(Bounded Rationality in Sensorimotor Coordination)

https://erc.europa.eu/projects-and-results/erc-funded-projects/BRISC

funded by the excellence programme of the European Research Council, in
which we aim at a novel information-theoretic understanding of sensorimotor
interactions in psychological and technical systems. Previous publications
of the group can be found under
http://www.kyb.tuebingen.mpg.de/research/rg/braun.html

Ulm University with its more than 10,000 students is Baden-Württemberg’s
youngest university. It offers attractive career prospects in a highly
innovative research, teaching and work environment at the same time
facilitating the reconciliation of work and family life. Embedded within
the novel international “Cognitive Systems”-Master’s course, the research
group “Learning Systems” is part of the university’s priority programme on
human-machine-interaction. Beyond the university, there are plenty of
opportunities to cooperate within the SFB Transregio 62 and with
international partners in Great Britain and the United States.

The applicants should have a strong mathematical background, hold a Diploma
or Master’s degree in natural science, mathematics, economics, psychology,
computer science, engineering or similar and have a keen interest in
artificial and natural intelligence.

The positions are paid according to German tariff TV-L E13. Exceptional
candidates with a Bachelor’s degree can also be considered, albeit with an
individual pay scale regulation.

The University of Ulm is an equal opportunity employer: Handicapped
individuals are strongly encouraged to apply, and so are women in areas in
which they are underrepresented.

The positions will be filled as soon as possible. Candidates should send a
CV, a brief statement of interest and a copy of their highest degree to
Prof. Dr. Dr. Daniel Alexander Braun daniel.braun at uni-ulm.de .

--
Prof. Dr. Dr. Daniel Alexander Braun
Institute of Neural Information Processing
Faculty of Engineering, Computer Science and Psychology
University of Ulm
James-Franck-Ring
D-89081 Ulm
Germany

phone:  +49 (0)731 50 - 24151 <%2B49%20%280%29731%2050%20-%2024158>
fax:    +49 (0)731 50 - 24156
email:  daniel.braun at uni-ulm.de