[Comp-neuro] Research Internship position at Numenta
subutai at numenta.org
Thu Jan 28 18:03:54 CET 2016
RESEARCH INTERNSHIP POSITION IN COMPUTATIONAL NEUROSCIENCE AND MACHINE
Numenta was founded in 2005 and is a leader in the emerging field of
machine intelligence. Its biologically inspired technology is based on a
detailed and evolving theory of the neocortex first described in co-founder
Jeff Hawkins’ book, On Intelligence. The current technology can be applied
to anomaly detection in servers and applications, human behavior, and
geo-spatial tracking data. Numenta is focused on understanding the
computational principles behind the cortex in detail, and implementing
practical systems that operate on those principles. NuPIC, Numenta's open
source code base, is one of the top three most active machine learning
projects on Github. For more details, please see www.numenta.com
The Research Group at Numenta is looking for outstanding MS or PhD students
or other research scientists for a paid internship during the Spring,
Summer or Fall 2016. We are looking for candidates with expertise in
Machine Learning, Computational Neuroscience and/or Natural Language
Processing. Preference given to candidates with experience in one or more
of the following areas: sequence learning, natural language processing,
neuron modeling, and computational models of cortex.
Numenta's interns will get exposure to all aspects of Hierarchical Temporal
Memory (HTM) learning algorithms, participate in leading edge research in
computational neuroscience, and get full clearance to publish their work
and research source code. The internship commitment is for 3 to 4 months
full time (longer appointments up to one year may be possible). We are
located in Silicon Valley (Redwood City, CA).
What you can expect to learn and how you might contribute:
- The challenges of designing and implementing detailed models of cortical
function that can be applied to real-world problems
- Gain experience solving hard problems in domains such as natural language
processing, streaming analytics, sensorimotor inference, and/or
- Participate in designing functional models of Layers 2/3, 4, 5, and 6,
thalamocortical circuits, feedback circuits, and sensorimotor processing
- Learn how to contribute to a top open source project, and improve your
software engineering skills
- Obtain a detailed understanding of Hierarchical Temporal Memory
- Currently enrolled in a PhD program, or a recent PhD graduate, or
equivalent research experience
- Strong research background in machine learning or machine intelligence
- Strong research background in computational neuroscience
- Excellent algorithmic problem solving skills, and the ability to
implement solutions in Python, C/C++, Java, etc.
- Established track record of publications in leading peer reviewed
conferences and journals
- Excellent programming skills
- Working knowledge of HTM algorithms a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and the ability to
work in a team oriented environment
- A belief that the best way to build intelligent machines is to understand
How to apply:
Qualified applicants should send the following to interns at numenta.com:
- Cover letter describing their specific interest in Numenta. Please
include any relevant experience with HTM algorithms or NuPIC.
- Resume or CV, including list of relevant courses and published papers.
Numenta is an equal opportunity employer supporting workforce diversity.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Numenta is unable to consider internship applications from
international researchers unless they are US Citizens, hold a Green Card,
or are currently enrolled in a US University and eligible for OPT.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Comp-neuro