[Comp-neuro] Postdocs integrated into the Human brain Project – specifically data-driven modeling at the subcellular or network levels, or tool development/support

Prof. Dr. Jordi Vallverdú jordi.vallverdu at uab.cat
Thu Jan 28 16:26:57 CET 2016

*CFP*

Call for Chapters, for the book *“Blended Cognition. The Robotic
Challenge”,* edited by Jordi Vallverdú and Vincent C. Müller, and published
by *Springer Verlag*. To be released in January 2017.

*Main aims of the book:*

This book introduces a new concept into cognitive sciences research, which
will contribute to the design of more realistic and efficient robots: *blended
cognition*. Looking at human daily decision-making, we can observe a
mixture of methods, as well as lots of intuition-driven actions that are
not properly decision-taking at all. Humans blend and combine several kinds
of heuristics, consciously or not, at symbolic and sensory-motor levels.
The blending can be parallel or sequential, or both. Human beings use a
large array of methods and techniques in order to decide a broad range of
actions. It can be considered an integrated multi-heuristic activity that
runs at several formal as well as informal and even unconscious levels.

Our aim is to join re-searchers who are trying to integrate multitask
skills into robotic and cognitive systems and to analyze the possible
connections of a subsumptioned architecture, with bio-inspired as well as
artificial approaches working together. Between classic top down and
bottom-up approaches to cognitive processing, we look for the creation of a
space for cognitive systems experts that makes possible to select the best
and optimal strategy for each decision situation. Blended cognition is,
thus, the study of how an intelligent system can use or even partially
combine several methods to decide among possible action outputs or data
evaluation and storage. A combination of possible data- and task-demands:
Semantics-Body-Mind.  By ‘semantics’ we mean the value of information at a
specific moment for the agent; by ‘body’ we mean the bodily requirements
and possibilities (DOF, flexibility, impact absorption, …) that the agent
exhibits; and by ‘mind’ we refer to the heuristic mechanisms designed to
give answers to the data flows. The importance of blended cognition is that
there is no pre-established and rigid hierarchy of control among these
possible main layers, as well as for their sub-layers. There are optimized
functional strategies of agreement and combination but the key point here
is the *flexibility* and *adaptability *of the system.

*Suggested Topics:*

§  A-modal and Modal approaches to decision

§  Abductive reasoning

§  Automated discovery

§  Autonomous robots

§  Bayesian analysis

§  Bio-inspired computing

§  Bounded rationality

§  Computational Creativity

§  Data Integration

§  Embodied cognition

§  Emotional Architectures

§  Epigenetic robotics

§  Extended cognition

§  Genetic algorithms

§  Grounded cognition

§  Heuristics

§  Incremental active learning

§  Meta-heuristics

§  Morphological computing

§  Multi-heuristics

§  Non-monotonic logic

§  Procedural reasoning

§  Statistical processing

§  Subsumption architectures

§  Swarm intelligence

*Deadlines :*

        I.            CFP: January, 2016.

      II.            Paper proposals: May 4th, 2016.

    III.            Editors acceptance: May 2nd, 2016.

    IV.            Full materials August 25th, 2016.

      V.            Last reviews: October 24th, 2016.

    VI.            Camera-Ready: November 28th, 2016.

  VII.            Releasement: January, 2017.

*Guidelines for manuscript preparation:*

https://www.springer.com/gp/authors-editors/book-authors-editors/manuscript-preparation/5636

Please, take into account that all submissions have abstracts, keywords,
and a completed and signed consent to publish form.

*Send proposals to jordi.vallverdu at uab.cat <jordi.vallverdu at uab.cat>. All
e-mails will be answered in order to check deliveries! *

Prof. Dr. Jordi Vallverdú, B. Phil, B. Mus, M.Sci, Ph.D.
Room B7/104, Philosophy Dept. UAB
08193 Bellaterra (BCN)
CATALONIA
FULL CV/Publications: https://uab.academia.edu/JordiVallverdu