[Comp-neuro] Postdoctoral position in active touch sensing
oddoc at sssup.it
Wed Apr 27 09:01:02 CEST 2016
we are opening at least one postdoctoral position in active touch
sensing within the Neuro-robotics Area of The BioRobotics Institute of
Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa, Italy.
The recruited postdoctoral fellow(s) may be requested to contribute to
the supervision of a growing research team, and will be involved in the
development of artificial touch sensory systems, spanning from
components level up to robotic system integration and data analysis via
neuro-bio-inspired architectures for a wide range of applications,
including neuroprosthetics, medical and industrial robotics.
Both junior and senior post-docs can apply. Net salary may reach up to
2k€/month, depending on qualification.
In our research group we target the engineering of an artificial tactile
sense in parallel to the investigation of human touch. We develop and
integrate novel transducers. We implement neuromorphic systems, with
natural spike-based coding of tactile information. We analyse neural
data to unveil the neuronal processes underlying the human sense of
touch, and we implement behavioural protocols to characterize the
perception of tactile features. The developed biorobotic technologies,
complemented with a body of neuroscientific knowledge, converge in key
application domains in bionic limb prostheses, safe human-machine
co-work, tele-presence for medical robotics and hand-held consumer
The ideal candidate shall have a subset of the following qualifications:
- PhD in disciplines such as biorobotics, robotics, computational
neuroscience, control and automation, electrical engineering, computer
- Experience in (real-time) programming with C/C++, LabVIEW Real-Time,
- Experience in data-analysis via Matlab
- Experience in designing printed circuit boards with software such as
Eagle or Orcad
- Experience in designing mechanical parts with software such as
SolidWorks or PTC Creo
- Experience in the development of spike-based neuro-robotic systems,
with a particular focus on artificial touch
- Track-record in publishing scientific papers in international journals
- Track-record in the management of intellectual property issues
- Ability to contribute to the preparation of research project proposals
- Ability to contribute to didactic activities at graduate or
- Ability to work in research teams and to contribute to co-supervision
of junior team members
- Excellent knowledge of English language
Recent publications of our group include:
1. Oddo, C.M.; Raspopovic, S.; Artoni, F.; Mazzoni, A.; Spigler, G.;
Petrini, F.; Giambattistelli, F.; Vecchio, F.; Miraglia, F.; Zollo, L.;
Di Pino, G.; Camboni, D.; Carrozza, M.C.; Guglielmelli, E.; Rossini,
P.M.; Faraguna, U.; Micera, S. Intraneural stimulation elicits
discrimination of textural features by artificial fingertip in intact
and amputee humans. Elife 2016.
2. Rongala, U.B.; Mazzoni, A.; Oddo, C.M. Neuromorphic Artificial
Touch for Categorization of Naturalistic Textures. IEEE Transactions on
Neural Networks and Learning Systems 2015.
3. Rongala, U.B.; Mazzoni, A.; Camboni, D.; Carrozza, M.C.; Oddo,
C.M. Neuromorphic artificial sense of touch: bridging robotics and
neuroscience. International Symposium on Robotics Research 2015.
4. Salgarella, A.R.; Giudetti, G.; Ricotti, L.; Camboni, D.; Puleo,
G.L.; Ruini, F.; Tonda-Turo, C.; Chiono, V.; Ciardelli, G.; Micera, S.;
Menciassi, A.; Oddo, C.M. A bio-hybrid mechanotransduction system based
on ciliate cells. Microelectronic Engineering 2015.
5. Klöcker, A.; Oddo, C.M.; Camboni, D.; Penta, M.; Thonnard, J.-L.
Physical Factors Influencing Pleasant Touch during Passive Fingertip
Stimulation. PloS One 2014.
To express interest in this position, please contact:
- Dr. Calogero Maria Oddo - c.oddo at sssup.it
- Prof. Maria Chiara Carrozza - m.c.carrozza at sssup.it
Scuola Superiore Sant’Anna (SSSA, http://www.santannapisa.it/en) is a
public Italian university for research and advanced undergraduate and
graduate education in the fields of Experimental and Social Sciences.
In the Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings of young
universities, released in April 2016, SSSA ranked 10th worldwide among
institutions that are aged 50 or younger and 5th worldwide among
institutions that are aged 30 or younger.
Post-graduate education and research activities at SSSA are structured
within six Institutes. The present position is opened at The BioRobotics
Institute, directed by Prof. Paolo Dario, which was specifically created
to host the research activities of SSSA at the intersection between
scientific research and technological innovation in robotics and
The BioRobotics Institute was formally established in 2011 and it
gathers the experience of more than 20 years of research carried out by
the ARTS and CRIM Labs, that were founded by Prof. Paolo Dario with the
mission of addressing research in the field of Biorobotics and
Biomechatronics with a strong interdisciplinary approach, integrating
different knowledge backgrounds to study theoretical and technological
problems related to the development of advanced robotic systems and
Please feel free to forward this call to colleagues or to any candidate
that you may consider qualified.
Thank you and best regards,
Calogero Maria Oddo and Maria Chiara Carrozza
Calogero M. Oddo
MSc, BSc Electronic Engineering
Assistant Professor of Bioengineering
Head of the Human Machine Nexus Laboratory
The BioRobotics Institute
Viale Rinaldo Piaggio 34, 56025, Pontedera (PI), Italy
Scuola Superiore Sant'Anna, Pisa, Italy
Tel: +39 050 88 3067
Mobile: +39 331 6992273
email: oddoc at sssup.it
More information about the Comp-neuro