[Comp-neuro] CFP: German - Japanese Workshop on Adaptive BCIs at Kyoto 2015, 28-29 Oct.

Shigeyuki Oba shigeyukioba at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 12:15:23 CEST 2015

German - Japanese Workshop on Adaptive BCIs at Kyoto 2015, 28-29 Oct.
See http://ishiilab.jp/bci/ for detail.

Dear colleagues,

Upon several requests, we extended the due date for poster
presentation for the upcoming Workshop on Adaptive Brain Computer
Interfaces.

Important dates:
Submittion of poster abstract: 1st October, 2015. (EXTENDED)
Registration for participants: 1st October, 2015.
Workshop: 28th--29th October, 2015.

Contact information:
Web: http://ishiilab.jp/bci/
E-mail: adaptive-bci-2015[at]googlegroups.com
Best Wishes,

Klaus-Robert Müller  and  Shigeyuki Oba

-----
Dear Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the upcoming Workshop on Adaptive BCIs.

Since the advent of the technology, Brain-Computer Interfacing (BCI)
aims to reliably translate recorded brain signals, e.g., EEG, into
control commands for a computer. Although there have been great
improvements over the last decades, current BCIs are still scarcely
used outside laboratories. One major limitation preventing the
prevalence of this promising technology into everyday life of, e.g.,
patients, is the lack of robustness and reliability.
Adaptive BCIs compensate for changes encountered in real-world
environments and are robust against nonstationarity (i) induced by
external causes such as a change in the experimental environment or
artifactual noise sources and (ii) internal causes, namely
fluctuations of brain states e.g. slow ones due to fatigue or brisk
ones caused by distraction of the subject. Co-adaptivity is an
important ingredient of such systems, since in a ever-changing
environment, it is not only the machine that needs to adapt to changes
in signal statistics, it is also the user who has to adapt his
strategies in order to cope with fluctuations in background noise and
sensory input.
This workshop presents recent developments in the field and aims at
providing tools for neuroscientists and practitioners that enable them
to go beyond restricted laboratory paradigms and study the brain while
the subject is interacting with his/her natural environment.
The workshop consists of 13 invited talks and a poster session. The
poster session will allow participants to interact and present their
own ideas and findings on from theoretical to practical aspects of BCI
studies.

Confirmed speakers:
A. Cichocki (Riken, Japan)
S. Fazli (Korea University, Korea)
M. Kawanabe (ATR, Japan)
P-J. Kindermans (TU Berlin, Germany)
K-R. Müller (TU Berlin, Germany)
S. Nishimoto (Osaka University, Japan)
W. Samek (Fraunhofer HHI, Germany)
M. Sugiyama (Univ. of Tokyo, Japan)
J. Hirayama (ATR, Japan)
R. Fukuma (Osaka University, Japan)
J. Fujiki (Fukuoka University, Japan)
S. Oba (Kyoto University, Japan)
M. Cuturi (Kyoto University, Japan)

We are also calling for poster presentations. The title and abstract
will be published via Frontiers publishing system.

Participation fee is not required.

--
-----
oba at i.kyoto-u.ac.jp