[Comp-neuro] PhD student position in the lab of Susanne Schreiber (Computational Neurophysiology), Berlin

Margret Franke margret.franke at bccn-berlin.de
Mon Feb 9 10:38:20 CET 2015

PhD student position in the lab of Susanne Schreiber (Computational
Neurophysiology) in Berlin

www.neuron-science.de

We are currently looking for a motivated PhD student to join us in the
exploration of computational properties of neurons. Our group is
embedded in the Department of Biology at Humboldt-University Berlin and
the Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience Berlin, located on
the beautiful Campus Nord in the center of the city.
We are particularly interested in how cell-intrinsic physiological
processes affect neuronal computation in single neurons and networks. To
this end we use theoretical approaches in combination with the analysis
of experimental data (obtained by experimental collaborators in
vertebrate and invertebrate systems). Many of our projects take the
evolutionary perspective into account, with the aim to improve our
understanding of how constraints, such as limited energetic resources or
fluctuating environmental variables (like temperature), shaped the
design of neuronal systems.
The PhD project will involve biophysical modeling of neurons, intending
to derive principles that generalize across multiple brain areas or
nervous systems. The PhD student will be given the opportunity to
cooperate with experimental groups in the Berlin area. Moreover,
suitable candidates may participate in the structured PhD program
"Sensory Computation in Neural Systems" (GRK 1589,
https://www.bccn-berlin.de/Graduate+Programs/2_Doctoral+Program/),
providing lively interactions with other research groups and students in
the fields of computational neuroscience, systems neurobiology, and
machine learning.

A strong background in physics, biophysics, computational neuroscience,
or computational biology is recommended. Moreover, candidates should
have solid experience in programming (python or matlab to solve
ODEs/SDEs), analytical skills, and a keen interest in neurophysiological
questions.

If interested, please send an email to Susanne Schreiber (email:
s.schreiber :AT: hu-berlin.de) including a letter of motivation, a CV,
and a copy of the current academic transcripts. Applications will be
accepted until the position is filled. In order to apply for a
scholarship in the structured PhD program, please contact us as soon as
possible. The official deadline for this program is March 15th, 2015.

--

Margret Franke
Managing Director