[Comp-neuro] Neural Coding, Computation and Dynamics (NCCD)

Peter Latham pel at gatsby.ucl.ac.uk
Tue Apr 21 14:15:50 CEST 2015

                August 30 - September 2, 2015
                          Bilbao, Spain

             http://www.gatsby.ucl.ac.uk/nccd/nccd15/

Second call, and registration is now open!!!

The goal of this workshop is to bring together experimentalists and
theoreticians who seek to understand how circuit dynamics underlies
representation and function in the nervous system, and to foster real
discussion. This year the workshop will focus on the interplay between
excitation (E) and inhibition (I) in cortical circuits. The balance
between E and I, an idea proposed twenty years ago to account for the
stochastic nature of cortical activity, has been seminal in the
understanding of basic principles of neural network dynamics. We are
seeking talks that, building on this paradigm, present recent findings on
topics such as neuronal variability and stochastic dynamics, the role of
the different subtypes of interneurons,plasticity and structure in EI
networks, brain state and network dynamics, etc.

The workshop will be limited to about 70 people, the hope being to foster
real interaction and discussion.

Thanks to a very generous grant from the Gatsby Charitable Foundation, we
will have a limited number of travel grants (10-15) for students and
postdocs. Details will follow shortly.

Important dates:
May 15: Abstracts due (there will be posters and contributed talks)
May 31: Early registration due

Confirmed invited speakers
Dean Buonomano, University of California at Los Angeles
Jess Cardin, Yale School of Medicine
Brent Doiron, University of Pittsburgh
Mike Hausser, UCL
Carl Petersen, Ecole Polytechnique Federale de Lausanne
Karel Svoboda, Janelia Farm
Tim Vogels, University of Oxford
Fred Wolf, University of Gottingen

Best,