[Comp-neuro] DEADLINE EXTENDED: MLINI 2014 - 4th NIPS Workshop on Machine Learning and Interpretation in Neuroimaging: Beyond the Scanner

Irina Rish rish at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 21 21:42:30 CEST 2014

Call for Papers

MLINI 2014 - 4th NIPS Workshop on Machine Learning and Interpretation in
Neuroimaging: Beyond the Scanner

https://sites.google.com/site/mlininips2014/

Friday, December 12, 2014, Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Submission deadline: EXTENDED to  October  27th, 2014

Workshop Overview:
-----------------------
MLINI workshop focuses on  machine learning approaches in neuroscience,
neuroimaging, with an extension to behavioral experiments and psychology.
This year, our focus is specifically on  "Going Beyond the Scanner", which
includes making inferences  about  mental states of a subject  from
''cheaper'' (as opposed to fMRI) behavioral data such as subject's speech
and/or text, audio, video, EEG and signals collected  from various wearable
devices.

We believe that machine learning has a prominent role in shaping how
questions in neuroscience are framed, and that the machine-learning mind
set is now entering modern psychology and behavioral studies. It is also
equally important  that  practical applications in these fields motivate a
rapidly evolving line or research in the machine learning community. In
parallel, there is an intense interest in learning more about brain
function in the context of rich naturalistic environments and scenes.
Efforts to go beyond highly specific paradigms that pinpoint a single
function, towards schemes for measuring the interaction with natural and
more varied scene are made. In this context, many controversies and open
questions exist.

The goal of the workshop is to pinpoint the most pressing issues and common
challenges across the fields, and to sketch future directions and open
questions in the light of novel methodology. The proposed workshop is aimed
at offering a forum that joins machine learning, neuroscience, and
psychology community, and should facilitate formulating and discussing the
issues at their interface.  Motivated by the previous workshops in this
series, MLINI ‘11, MLINI’12, and MLINI’13, we will center this workshop
around invited talks and a panel discussion. Triggered by the discussions,
this year we plan to adapt the workshop topics to a less traditional scope
neuroimaging scope and investigate the role of  behavioral models and
psychology,  including topics such as psycholinguistics.

Open questions and possible topics for contribution include, but are not
limited to, the following:

- How can we move towards more naturalistic stimuli, tasks and paradigms in
neuroimaging and neuro-signal analysis?

- What kind of mental states can be inferred from cheaper and easier to
collect  data sources (as an alternative  to fMRI),  such as text, speech,
audio, video, EEG, and wearable devices?

- How can we leave the lab when acquiring neuroimaging data, towards
exploiting mobile acquisition (EEG and NIRS)?

- What type of features should be extracted from naturalistic stimuli such
as text, voice, etc., to detect specific mental states and/or mental
disorders?

- How can we combine traditional neuroimaging with naturalistic data
collected from a subject or group of subjects?

- In general,  can we characterize situations when multivariate predictive
analysis (MVPA) and inference methods are better suited for brain imaging
analysis than more traditional techniques?

- Given recent advances of  deep learning in image analysis and other
applications, a natural question to ask is whether neuroimaging analysis
can benefit from such approaches?

- How well can functional networks and dynamical models capture the brain
activity, and when using network and dynamics information is superior to
standard  task-based brain activations?

Workshop Format:
--------------------------

In this one-day workshop we will explore perspectives and novel methodology
at the interface of Machine Learning, Inference, Neuroimaging and
Neuroscience. We aim to bring researchers from machine learning and
neuroscience community together, in order to discuss open questions,
identify the core points for a number of the controversial issues, and
eventually propose approaches to solving those issues. Each session will be
opened by several invited talks, and an in depth discussion. This will be
followed by original contributions. Original contributions will also be
presented and discussed during a poster session. The workshop will end with
a panel discussion, during which we will address specific questions, and
invited speakers will open each segment with a brief presentation of their
opinion.

Paper Submission:
--------------------------
We seek for submission of original (previously unpublished) research
papers. The length of the submitted papers should not exceed 8 pages in
Springer format,  excluding the references (LaTeX2e style  files are
available on the workshop page).
Submission of previously published work is possible as well, but the
authors are required to mention this explicitly. Previously published work
can be presented at the workshop, but will not be included into the
workshop proceedings (which are considered peer-reviewed publications of
novel contributions).  Moreover, the authors are welcome to present their
novel work but choose to opt out of the workshop proceedings in case they
have alternative publication plans.

Important dates:
--------------------------
-  October 10, 2014 - paper submission
-  October 24, 2014  -  notification of acceptance/rejection
-  December 12, 2014 -  Workshop at Montreal, Quebec, Canada , following
the NIPS conference

Organizing Committee:
Guillermo Cecchi (IBM T.J. Watson Research Center)
Kai-min Kevin Chang (Language Technologies Institute, Carnegie Mellon
University)
Georg Langs (Medical University of Vienna, CSAIL, MIT)
Brian Murphy (Machine Learning Department, Carngie Mellon University)
*Irina Rish (IBM T.J. Watson Research Center)  - main contact
Leila Wehbe (CMU)