[Comp-neuro] PhD and Post-doctoral opportunities in machine learning and neuroscience.

Artur Luczak luczak at uleth.ca
Fri Jun 6 01:24:30 CEST 2014

We seek highly motivated individuals with strong computational
backgrounds to work at the interface of machine learning and
neuroscience. We have extensive data sets recorded with state-of-the-art
optical and electrophysiological methods, spanning normal and abnormal
brain function in several experimental preparations. Recent developments
in unsupervised machine learning (e.g. deep neural networks) now enable
discovery of high-level features of such complex data sets, and provide
an opportunity for breakthroughs in understanding brain function.
Conversely, many of the most influential ideas in artificial neural
networks have been inspired by biological networks. We therefore also
endeavor to implement computational elements revealed by recent
experimental findings in order to endow artificial neural networks with
more brain-like capabilities.

Candidates should have a strong interest in understanding how the brain
works, and expertise in computational science. Prior experience with
deep learning algorithms is preferred but not required. Successful
candidates will join the highly collaborative and interdisciplinary
Brain Dynamics group (http://lethbridgebraindynamics.com/ ), which has
outstanding research strengths in the areas of learning and memory,
decision making, information coding and related diseases such as
Alzheimer's, schizophrenia, addiction and stroke. Funding is available
through our departmental NSERC CREATE grant in Biological Information
Processing, which provides a competitive stipend and unique training
opportunities in quantitative sciences and entrepreneurship. Lethbridge
is a small city located two hours from Calgary, 90 minutes from the
Canadian Rockies, and has a sunny and dry climate.

For more information please contact Dr. Aaron Gruber
<aaron.gruber at uleth.ca> or Dr. Artur Luczak <luczak at uleth.ca>

Canadian Centre for Behavioural Neuroscience Department of Neuroscience,
University of Lethbridge
4401 University Drive, Lethbridge, AB, T1K 3M4, Canada
http://lethbridgebraindynamics.com/
http://lethbridgebraindynamics.com/artur_luczak
http://lethbridgebraindynamics.com/aaron_gruber