[Comp-neuro] Job offer: PhD student in computational neuroscience in Jülich, Germany

Martina Reske m.reske at fz-juelich.de
Thu Oct 24 16:56:24 CEST 2013

Dear all,

we are are seeking a PhD student in computational neuroscience - please find more information below.

Kind regards,

Martina

Project title:

Structure, dynamics and function of the septo-hippocampal network in Alzheimer's disease

Project summary:

Increasing evidence points to a cascade of functional and neuropathological changes in the progression of Alzheimer's disease (AD), from early synaptic dysfunction to synapse and cell loss at later stages. The medial septal nucleus and the hippocampus are among the first brain structures affected by progressing AD. It is widely accepted that the hippocampus is crucial for the formation of new memories. The medial septum plays a central role in generating rhythmic theta activity in the hippocampus, thereby promoting synaptic plasticity in the hippocampus and, hence, learning.

In a joint project with Prof. Dr. Stefan Remy from the German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE; http://www.dzne.de/en/sites/bonn/research-groups/remy.html), we will investigate how AD related changes at the synaptic and neuronal level affect the dynamics and the functional properties of the septo-hippocampal network during different stages of the disease. We will combine mathematical modeling approaches and novel optogenetic-imaging and electrophysiology experiments to obtain a deeper understanding of how networks maintain and adapt their performance in the intact and the neurodegenerative brain. Moreover, we will manipulate neural networks to improve and potentially restore network performance in vivo, in vitro, and in silico.

For the modeling part of the project, we are inviting a PhD candidate with a background in Computational Neuroscience, Physics, Computer Science or related fields. The research will be conducted at the Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine (INM-6), Jülich Research Centre, Jülich, Germany (www.csn.fz-juelich.de<http://www.csn.fz-juelich.de>). We offer a position in a creative and international team, themes ranging from computational neuroscience to simulation technology. The Jülich Research Centre is one of the largest research centers in Germany, with best scientific equipment worldwide, on a green campus, near the cultural centers Köln, Düsseldorf und Aachen. The PhD position is available for 3 years, starting as soon as possible.

Applications, including a motivation letter, a CV, copies of university certificates, and one letter of reference should be sent as a single PDF email attachment (max. 10MB) latest until December 1st, 2013, to

Dr. Tom Tetzlaff (t.tetzlaff at fz-juelich.de<mailto:t.tetzlaff at fz-juelich.de>) and
Prof. Dr. Sonja Grün (s.gruen at fz-juelich.de<mailto:s.gruen at fz-juelich.de>)

Inst. of Neuroscience and Medicine (INM-6) &
Inst. for Advanced Simulation (IAS-6)
Jülich Research Centre and JARA

--

Martina Reske, Ph.D.