[Comp-neuro] Job Opportunities at the Swiss AI Lab IDSIA

Juergen Schmidhuber juergen at idsia.ch
Wed Nov 27 18:25:31 CET 2013

Join the Deep Learning team that won more international competitions in machine learning and pattern recognition than any other research group [1-6], and the first team to create superhuman visual classifiers [2]. We are at the Swiss AI Lab IDSIA [7], in the world's leading science nation [8], also the world's most competitive country for the 5th year in a row [9] - since 2009, when our neural networks (NN) became the first Deep Learning systems to win official international contests [5]. We are especially interested in candidates applying for our prestigious Marie Curie Experienced Researcher Fellowship connected to the ProtoTouch project (a postdoctoral position) [10]. We offer a highly competitive Swiss salary. Please follow the instructions [11]. Deadline 8 December 2013 (right after NIPS).

[1] Deep Learning since 1991 - our deep NN have, so far, won 9 important contests in pattern recognition, image segmentation, object detection www.deeplearning.it

[2] First superhuman visual pattern recognition in an official international competition (with secret test set known only to the organisers) - twice better than humans, three times better than the closest artificial NN competitor, six times better than the best non-neural method  http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/superhumanpatternrecognition.html

[3] Our deep NN won both the MICCAI 2013 Grand Challenge and the ICPR 2012 contest on Mitosis Detection (important for cancer prognosis etc, perhaps the most important application area of Deep Learning) http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/deeplearningwinsMICCAIgrandchallenge.html

[4] Our deep NN won the ISBI'12 brain image segmentation challenge (relevant for the billion € brain projects in EU and US)  http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/deeplearningwinsbraincontest.html

[5] 2009: First international competitions won by Deep Learning (deep LSTM recurrent neural networks for connected handwriting)  http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/handwriting.html

[6] Overview: My first Deep Learner of 1991 + Deep Learning timeline 1962-2013 (also summarises the origins of backpropagation, still the central algorithm of Deep Learning)  www.deeplearning.me

[7] The Swiss AI Lab IDSIA http://www.idsia.ch/

[8] The world's leading science nation with the most Nobels/patents/citations/funding per capita
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/switzerland.html

[9] Global Competitiveness Reports 2009-2013  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Competitiveness_Report
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/09/03/us-economy-competitiveness-idUSBRE98215T20130903

[10] ProtoTouch project http://cordis.europa.eu/projects/rcn/105932_en.html