[Comp-neuro] Frontiers in Neural Circuits Research Topic
ravirao at us.ibm.com
Mon Jun 3 17:31:55 CEST 2013
Frontiers in Neural Circuits Research Topic
Towards an integrated approach to measurement, analysis and modeling of
A. Ravishankar Rao, IBM Research, USA
Guillermo A. Cecchi, IBM Watson Research Center, USA
Ehud Kaplan, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, NYC, USA
Recent technological advances have led to an unprecedented increase in the
volume and detail of neuroscientific data, creating significant challenges
in their processing and interpretation. We tackle this challenge via a
network-centric approach, which matches the physical structure of the
Progress is essential on three major fronts:
1. Measurement of neural activity
2. Estimation of network structures from this activity, and their
3. Modeling network function, leading to theoretical understanding.
We emphasize that these three fronts are interdependent but must evolve
synergestically. The model and theoretical understanding needs to be
grounded in constraints produced by the measurement process. Insights
derived from modeling can be used to drive novel experiments and
Suggested topics include, but are not limited to:
1. Methodologies for network model validation.
2. Interesting emergent properties that may arise from the network,
such as synchrony.
3. Multi-scale modeling that bridges gaps between the single neuron
level and behavior at higher level.
4. Applications of cortical network modeling to understand disease
For further details, please refer to
Abstract Submission: June 15, 2013
Full Article Submission: October 1, 2013
Further information: ravirao at us.ibm.com
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Comp-neuro