[Comp-neuro] Call for papers: Correlated activity and coding

Tatjana Tchumatchenko tat at tchumatchenko.de
Thu Sep 13 14:32:40 CEST 2012

Hello everyone,

we (Robert Rosenbaum, Tatjana Tchumatchenko, Ruben Moreno-Bote) are
hosting a Frontiers Research Topic entitled
*
**Correlated neuronal activity and its relationship to coding, dynamics
and network architecture*

see here for details:
http://www.frontiersin.org/Computational_Neuroscience/researchtopics/Correlated_neuronal_activity_a/1155

We think that the interplay between neuronal correlations, dynamics and
architecture
is a very timely topic that many of you might be working on.

We are looking forward to your submissions!

Abstract:

Correlated and synchronous activity in populations of neurons has been
observed in many brain regions and has been shown to play a crucial role
in cortical coding, attention, and network dynamics. Accurately
measuring and estimating spiking correlations and synchrony in vivo
presents several methodological difficulties. For example, despite
recent advances in multicellular recording techniques, the
number of neurons from which spiking activity can be simultaneously
recorded remains orders magnitude smaller than the size of local
networks. In addition, there is a lack of consensus on the distribution
of pairwise spike cross correlations obtained in extracellular
multi-unit recordings in any brain region. These limitations highlight
the need for theoretical and modeling approaches to understand how
correlations emerge and to decipher the functional role of correlated
and synchronous activity in the brain.

Contributions to this special topic should advance our understanding of
how correlations and synchrony are shaped by neuronal dynamics and
network structure. Contributions addressing the impact of coordinated
activity on coding and network dynamics are also welcome.

Examples include
1. Sources of spiking synchrony and correlations in recurrent networks.
2. The impact of cellular and synaptic dynamics on the coordinated
activity of neuronal populations.
3. The role of network structure and connectivity motifs in network
dynamics.
4. Ensemble encoding strategies in interconnected neuronal populations.

Best regards,

Tatjana

--
Dr. Tatjana Tchumatchenko
Postdoctoral Fellow

Independent Research group leader (starting 2013)
Max Planck Institute for Brain Research
Max-von-Laue-Str 3 60438 Frankfurt am Main, Germany