[Comp-neuro] Disease Dynamics Workshop - July 26, 2012 @ OCNS*2012 Atlanta\Decatur, GA

Sharmila Venugopal svenugopal10 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 00:21:13 CEST 2012

Dear all,

We invite you to participate in the workshop on disease dynamics at the
annual CNS*2012 meeting in Atlanta\Decatur, GA

* **https://sites.google.com/site/diseasedynamicsworkshop/*

* *

*Title**: Disease dynamics - Computational modeling of neurological diseases
*

*Date: July 26, 2012 (8:00 AM – 4:30 PM)*

*Abstract*

The goal of this workshop is to bring together a diverse group of
neuroscientists to discuss and present recent advances in computational
modeling of dynamical disease phenomena. Computational modeling holds great
promise in improving our understanding of disease dynamics and in designing
pharmacological, surgical and neuroprosthetic interventional strategies for
neurological disorders. In this workshop, we will focus on how
computational models can enhance our understanding of disease dynamics and
predict emergence of pathological excitability states. Examples of
pathological excitability states include hyper-excitability of sensorimotor
reflex circuits leading to spasticity, hyper-synchrony of cortical networks
leading to epileptiform activity and Parkinsonian rhythms. The models
discussed will represent molecular, cellular and network constructs
encompassing multiple levels of nervous system organization. The workshop
will promote cross-talk on pathogenic mechanisms in multiple neurological
conditions while providing opportunities for an open dialog amongst
experimental, computational and clinical neuroscientists to further
stimulate the utilization of computational models in predicting disease
dynamics.

*Invited Speaker List*

*Steven J. Schiff*, M.D, Ph.D. (Penn. State U)

*Ivan Soltesz*, Ph.D. (U of California Irvine)

*Theoden Netoff*, Ph.D. (U of Minnesota)

*Cengiz Gunay*, Ph.D. (Emory U)

*Kim ‘Avrama’ Blackwell*, Ph.D. (George Mason U)

*Robert Rosenbaum*, Ph.D. (U of Pittsburg)

*Gennady Cymbalyuk* (Georgia State U)

*Sharmila Venugopal*, Ph.D. (U of California Los Angeles)

*Organizers*

*Ranu Jung*, Ph.D. (Florida International U)

*Sharmila Venugopal*, Ph.D. (U of California Los Angeles)

Warm Regards,

Sharmila Venugopal

Postdoctoral Research Associate

Department of Integrative Biology and Physiology

University of California Los Angeles

Email: svenugopal10 at gmail.com

Phone: (310) 206 0332