[Comp-neuro] POSTDOCTORAL POSITION -- CODING AND DYNAMICS IN THE RETINA

Eric Shea-Brown etsb at washington.edu
Fri Dec 14 06:56:01 CET 2012

POSTDOCTORAL POSITION -- CODING AND DYNAMICS IN THE RETINA

A postdoctoral position is available jointly in the groups of Eric Shea-Brown and Fred Rieke at the University of Washington (Applied Mathematics and Physiology/Biophysics).  The topic is correlated spiking in retinal coding and dynamics -- with a focus on the neural representation of motion.  Our goal is to connect dynamic mechanistic models, based on intracellular recordings across retinal circuits, with information-theoretic measures of their impact.

All of this will take place in a lively research community at the interface of neuroscience theory and experiment (see compneuro.washington.edu).

A PhD is required in mathematics, neurobiology, applied mathematics, biology, statistics, physics, or a related area.  The position provides a highly competitive annual salary and benefits, and Seattle an exceptionally beautiful and interesting place to live.

The start date is flexible.

Applicants are encouraged to email a statement of research interests, CV, and three letters of recommendation to sbr_pdoc at uw.edu.

We will start reviewing applications on Jan. 7, 2013.

This full-time position is temporary and renewable, carries the title of Acting Assistant Professor, and is for a total duration of three years. EO/AA.