[Comp-neuro] A new brain theory, a Phys.org story on the theory and a response to James McClelland and David Plaut's comments in the Phys.org story

Asim Roy ASIM.ROY at asu.edu
Tue Dec 4 15:31:00 CET 2012

The following article appears in Frontiers of Cognitive Science today:

Roy A. (2012). "A theory of the brain: localist representation is used widely in the brain." Front. Psychology 3:551. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2012.00551

It's a very short article, just 2000 words. Here's the link to the article:

http://www.frontiersin.org/Journal/FullText.aspx?s=196&name=cognitive_science&ART_DOI=10.3389/fpsyg.2012.00551

Phys.org wrote a feature story on the new theory titled: "Do brain cells need to be connected to have meaning?" Here's the link to the story: http://phys.org/news273783154.html

James McClelland of Stanford University and David Plaut of Carnegie Mellon University have long comments about the theory in the Phys.org story. I have posted a separate response to their comments on the Lifeboat site. Here's the link to the response:

http://lifeboat.com/blog/2012/12/response-to-plaut-and-mcclelland-on-the-phys-org-story

I might create a separate mailing list for discussion on this topic if there is enough interest. Please drop me a note if you are interested in joining such a discussion.

With best regards,
Asim Roy
Arizona State University
Tempe, Arizona