[Comp-neuro] Research Associate Position in Biomimetic Control

John Porrill j.porrill at sheffield.ac.uk
Wed Oct 12 09:24:43 CEST 2011

Research Associate in Biomimetic Control

Department of Psychology, The University of Sheffield, UK

A full-time fixed-term research post is available from 3 January 2012 with
an end date of 31 December 2014 to develop biomimetic algorithms for
movement control in the next generation of soft-smart robots. Artificial
muscles and soft-smart materials are emerging technologies which are set to
have a huge impact on the future of robotics. Together with teams from
Bristol Robotics Laboratory and Bristol University we are developing a
whisking robot rat that can respond appropriately to novel stimuli detected
by both tactile and visual sensors. Our aim is to emulate the flexibility,
modularity and robustness of biological systems, and since the cerebellum is
the brain structure essential for fine-tuning human performance in sensory
and motor tasks, we will exploit known features of cerebellar organisation,
in particular the 'cerebellar chip' architecture to develop new bio-inspired
sensory-motor control algorithms.

The post-holder will assist in the development and implementation of these
algorithms on the whisking robot. There will be opportunities to visit our
partners in Bristol and also to collaborate with neuroscientists and
roboticists to help gain a deeper understanding of the function of the
cerebellum. This research has promising future applications in both general
robotics and more specific areas such as biomimetic robotics for health care
and prosthetics.

For all on-line application system queries and support, contact:
e-Recruitment at sheffield.ac.uk .

For informal enquiries about this job and department contact: Dr John
Porrill on

j.porrill at sheffield.ac.uk or +44-114-2226557