[Comp-neuro] Announcement of a book on Sleep and Anesthesia

Axel Hutt axel.hutt at inria.fr
Sun Jul 24 10:07:30 CEST 2011

Dear colleagues,

I am happy to announce the publication of a new book on sleep and anesthesia published
by Springer:

Axel Hutt (Editor),
"Sleep and Anesthesia: Neural Correlates in Theory and Experiment"

Sleep and anesthesia seem so similar that the task of analyzing the neurological similarities
and differences between the two is an obvious research postulate. Both involve the loss of
consciousness, or the loss of awareness of external stimuli. Yet when we investigate
further, key differences start to manifest themselves—anesthesia is drug-induced while sleep
requires no external cause being only the most salient. Other fascinating questions crowd in
too: do we dream while under anesthesia, and do we feel pain while sleeping? Examining neural
activity associated with sleep and anesthesia can be effected at various levels, from the
microscopic, single-neuron level right up to that of whole neural populations. This book aims
to reveal the underlying neural mechanisms of sleep and anesthesia by employing a range of
experimental techniques and applying theoretical models of neural activity that predict the
mechanisms related to both states. Of course, these models offer deeper insights if their
assumptions and resulting data can be correlated to experimental findings, and it is these
correlations that the book focuses on. As the outcome of workshops on anesthesia and sleep
at Computational Neuroscience Conferences in Toronto and Berlin, the chapters lay out key
theoretical issues as well as hot contemporary research topics. It also details experimental
techniques on various spatial scales, such as fMRI and EEG-experiments on the macroscopic,
and single-neuron and LFP measurements on the microscopic scale.

See also http://www.springer.com/biomed/neuroscience/book/978-1-4614-0172-8

Axel

--
---