[Comp-neuro] Postdoctoral positions @ UT San Antonio

Fidel Santamaria fidel.santamaria at utsa.edu
Thu Jul 21 19:36:28 CEST 2011

Computational neuroscience post-doc opportunity

As part of a  project titled "Analyzing neuronal activity when classical
reaction-diffusion breaks down" I am looking for two postdoctoral
fellows. The postdocs will work in computational and theoretical
projects to study how neuronal structural complexity (from molecules to
networks) affects biochemical information processing. Knowledge of Monte
Carlo simulations is desirable and if you happen to know fractional
calculus then I would be very interested in talking to you. Experience
with Matlab is highly desirable. The first postdoc position can be for
up to three years starting  in the Fall 2011. The second postdoc
position will be available in the Fall of 2012 and could be for up to
two years.

The work is related to these recent publications:

1.       Santamaria F, Wils S, De Schutter E, Augustine GJ. (2011). The
diffusional properties of dendrites depend on the density of dendritic
spines. Eur. J. Neurosci. (in press).

2.       Valdez CM, Phelix CF, Smith MA, Perry G, Santamaria F (2011).
Modeling cholesterol metabolism by gene expression profiling in the
hippocampus. Mol. BioSys. doi: 10.1039/C0MB00282H,

3.       Santamaria F, Gonzalez J, Augustine GJ, and Ragavachari S.
(2010). Quantifying the effects of elastic collisions and non-covalent
binding on glutamate receptor trafficking in the post-synaptic density.
PLoS Comp. Bio. 6(5):e1000780. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1000780

4.       Coop AD, Cornelis H, and Santamaria F (2010). Dendritic
excitability modulates dendritic information processing in a Purkinje
cell model. Front. Comput. Neurosci. 4:6. doi:10.3389/fncom.2010.00006.

5.       Valdez CM , Smith MA, Perry G, Phelyx CF, Santamaria F (2010).
Cholesterol homeostasis markers are localized to mouse hippocampal
pyramidal and granule layers. Hippocampus. doi: 10.1002/hipo.20743.

6.       Santamaria F, Wils S, De Schutter E, Augustine GJ (2006).
Anomalous diffusion in Purkinje cell dendrites caused by spines. Neuron
52:635-648.

UTSA is located in San Antonio, far away from the cold weather that many
of you don't like, the city has about 2x10^6 people with plenty of
opportunities for outdoor and indoor activities (www.visitsanantonio.com
and downtownsanantonio.org) . Computationally, we have access to the
biggest computers in the planet through TACC (www.tacc.utexas.edu), we
also have a highly efficient Computationally Biology facility
(www.cbi.utsa.edu). We also have access to large visualization walls and
haptic devices (vislab.utsa.edu <http://vislab.utsa.edu/> ) that we are
currently using to develop ways of exploring our simulations (see my
webpage www.utsa.edu/SantamariaLab). I am the  deputy director of the
SiViRT (center for Simulation Visualization and Real Time computing,
engineering.utsa.edu/~sivirt/) ; I am also involved in a nanotechnology
center (physics.utsa.edu/PREM). Although these projects are
computational and theoretical my lab is developing nanotechnology tools
for neuroscience and experimentally studying the predictions from our
computational work using electrophysiology and two-photon imaging
techniques.

If interested in starting this fall or next year please send me your CV
and recent publications.

Best,

Fidel.

--