[Comp-neuro] CNS*2011* Workshop Announcement: (July 27, 2011) "Basal Ganglia: Dynamics, Function and Learning"

Arvind Kumar arvind.k.panchal at gmail.com
Mon Jul 18 19:22:43 CEST 2011

Dear Colleagues
I would like to invite you to attend the CNS workshop on *"Basal Ganglia:
Dynamics, Function and Learning"* to be held on 27th July 2011.

*Topic description*
The basal ganglia (BG) are involved in a wide range of motor and cognitive
processes, and accordingly, their dysfunction can lead to several
neurological diseases. Extensive experimental characterization at multiple
scales of the BG in normal and pathological conditions have provided
important insights about the BG. However, a coherent computational theory
linking these observations to function has eluded the neuroscientists.
Bottom-up computational approaches have addressed the dynamical properties
and interaction of the neural activity in the BG nuclei, while top-down
approaches rather have described BG function inspired by machine learning
algorithms.
In this workshop, we will discuss progress made in our understanding of the
BG at multiple scales with the aim to bridge between bottom-up and top-down
approaches. The main emphasis of the workshop will be to understand how the
dynamics relate to function and dysfunction of BG. In addition, the workshop
will foster an interaction between experimentalists and theoreticians.

*More Information and Schedule*
http://www.bcf.uni-freiburg.de/news/generic-news/20110118-cns-session-kumar

best
Arvind Kumar