[Comp-neuro] PhD position in Systems Neuroscience in Barcelona

Jaime de la Rocha jrochav at clinic.ub.es
Thu Jan 27 12:26:27 CET 2011

PhD position in Systems Neuroscience in Barcelona: stochastic dynamics
of cortical circuits and their impact on perception.

Applications are invited for a PhD position in the 'Cortical Circuit
Dynamics Group' at IDIBAPS (Institut D'Investigacions Biomèdiques August
Pi i Sunyer), in Barcelona. The 4 year position, funded by an FPI grant
by the Spanish Ministry of Science, starts Sept. 2011 and is aimed to
investigate the role of noise in perception and decision making.

Our lab is generally interested in elucidating the neural and circuit
mechanisms underlying auditory processing and perception. In particular,
we investigate the integration of feed-forward sensory inputs and
top-down signals into coherent percepts, in the presence of ongoing
activity generated by local circuit dynamics. We focus on the role of
neuronal noise and synchrony on this process as well as its dependence
on brain state. We combine population cortical recordings in rats with
with quantitative analysis and computational modeling.

Our lab is part of the Systems Neuroscience Unit
(http://www.idibaps.org/research/708/systems-neuroscience) in IDIBAPS
(http://www.idibaps.ub.edu/eng/home.php) where we benefit from a regular
interaction with the labs of Dr. Albert Compte (http://complab.fcrb.es/)
and Dr. David Robbe (http://neuro.fcrb.es/BasalGangLab/RobbeLab). This
unit is part of a larger and growing community of Systems and
Computational Neuroscience groups in Barcelona
(http://www.barcelonaneuroscience.com) which organizes weekly seminars
and meetings. Many of the groups in this community share a common
general interest on the study of neural network dynamics. IDIBAPS is one
of the largest biomedical research institutes in Spain and is located in
the heart of Barcelona's business and art nouveau district, and it is
minutes away from a variety of restaurants, cafes, shopping areas and
the beach (15 minutes bike ride).

The ideal candidate has a degree in Physics, Mathematics, Computer
Science, Neuroscience or similar and combines a solid background in
neurobiology and quantitative analysis skills. Programming skills and
strong motivation to learn experimental as well as computational
state-of-the-art techniques would be an advantage. For further
information about this position, visit
http://neuro.fcrb.es/delaRochaLab. Application letters including a CV,
research experience, a short statement of research interests, and
contact details of two referees should be sent by email to Dr. Jaime de
la Rocha (jrochav at clinic.ub.es) before February 15th 2011.

--
Jaime de la Rocha
Ramón y Cajal researcher at