[Comp-neuro] Paper and MATLAB source codes on spike train synchrony

Thomas Kreuz thomaskreuz at yahoo.de
Mon Jan 10 14:34:32 CET 2011

Dear all,

May I kindly draw your attention to our new paper and new MATLAB source codes on
spike train synchrony?
 Time-resolved and time-scale adaptive measures of spike train synchrony
Thomas Kreuz, Daniel Chicharro, Martin Greschner and Ralph G. Andrzejak
Journal of Neuroscience Methods 195, 92-106 (2011)

http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jneumeth.2010.11.020

Alternatively you can also find the paper on the arXiv:

http://arxiv.org/abs/1012.0373

coding
Abstract:
A wide variety of approaches to estimate the degree of synchrony between two or
more spike trains have been proposed. One of the most recent methods is the
ISI-distance which extracts information from the interspike intervals (ISIs) by
evaluating the ratio of the instantaneous firing rates. In contrast to most
previously proposed measures it is parameter free and time-scale independent.
However, it is not well suited to track changes in synchrony that are based on
spike coincidences. Here we propose the SPIKE-distance, a complementary measure
which is sensitive to spike coincidences but still shares the fundamental
advantages of the ISI-distance. In particular, it is easy to visualize in a
time-resolved manner and can be extended to a method that is also applicable to
larger sets of spike trains. We show the merit of the SPIKE-distance using both
simulated and real data.

The MATLAB source code for calculating and visualizing the ISI- and the
SPIKE-distance as well as their extensions can be downloaded at

http://www.fi.isc.cnr.it/users/thomas.kreuz/sourcecode.html

[Note that since our last paper the webpage has moved from my previous institute
(Institute for nonlinear science, INLS) at UCSD, La Jolla, Ca, USA, to my
current institute (Institute for complex systems, ISC) in Florence, Italy.]

If you want to receive further information on updates of the source codes please
send me your email and I will keep you posted and share the latest developments
with you.

Thank you for your interest in our work. Any feedback (on both the paper and the
source codes) is very welcome.

Best regards,
Thomas Kreuz