[Comp-neuro] preview to CNS 2011 workshop on multiscale modeling

james bower bower at uthscsa.edu
Fri Feb 25 23:26:28 CET 2011

Ilya Rybak and myself will be organizing a workshop at the CNS 2011 meeting in Stockholm this year on multi-scale modeling in computational neuroscience.

For those of you potentially interested in this subject, I will be giving a talk open to the public this coming week as part of the MSM Computational Neuroscience Working Group.

The talk is open to the public over the Internet.

Jim Bower

> ***MARK YOUR CALENDARS -- MSM CONSORTIUM VIRTUAL DISCUSSION--***
>
> Thursday March 3, 2011 3:30-4:30pm ET – MSM Computational Neuroscience Working Group
>
> Working Group leads: Jim Bower; bower at uthscsa.edu, Ilya Rybak; rybak at drexel.edu
>
> Jim Bower will present: Multi-scale modeling in neuroscience: How does the cerebellum work and how will we ever know?
> ABSTRACT - Realistic computational modeling involves the exploration of biophysically and anatomically accurate models under the assumption that the nervous system's form will eventually reveal its function. Computational investigations of this type are being increasingly applied to many different neurobiological studies at levels of scale ranging from molecular, through cellular, to network and system levels. In this talk, Dr. Bower will use his laboratory's own multi-year and multi-generational modeling efforts to uncover structure/function relationships in the cerebellum. He will demonstrate how, in fact, any effort to realistically model brain function inevitably leads to modeling at multiple scales. He will also discuss the technical and practical aspects of engaging in integrated multi-scale modeling.
> Connection information will be posted on the MSM Computational Neuroscience Working Group wiki page,http://www.imagwiki.nibib.nih.gov/mediawiki/index.php?title=Computational_Neuroscience_Working_Group
>
> ALL ARE WELCOME!
>
> PLEASE NOTE:  Those interested in seeing Jim in person can come to the NIBIB Large Conference Room in Suite 200,http://www.nibib.nih.gov/About/VisitorInformation/Directions

Dr. James M. Bower
Professor of Computational Neurobiology

Research Imaging Center
University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio, Texas

Department of Biology
University of Texas - San Antonio

Phone:  210 382 0553
Email: bower at uthscsa.edu
Web: www.bower-lab.org

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE:
The contents of this email and any attachments to it may be privileged or
contain privileged and confidential information. This information is only
for the viewing or use of the intended recipient. If you have received this
e-mail in error or are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of, or the taking of any
action in reliance upon, any of the information contained in this e-mail, or
any of the attachments to this e-mail, is strictly prohibited and that this
e-mail and all of the attachments to this e-mail, if any, must be
immediately returned to the sender or destroyed and, in either case, this
e-mail and all attachments to this e-mail must be immediately deleted from
your computer without making any copies hereof and any and all hard copies
made must be destroyed. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender by e-mail immediately.