[Comp-neuro] Postdoctoral position in stochastic modeling of signaling pathways involved in cerebellar synaptic plasticity

Erik De Schutter erik at oist.jp
Tue Feb 22 04:13:29 CET 2011

A postdoctoral position is available in the Computational Neuroscience Unit of Dr. Erik De Schutter at the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology (http://www.irp.oist.jp/cns/) to study the signaling pathways involved in cerebellar long-term depression at the parallel fiber to Purkinje cell synapse.

We have developed a detailed stochastic model using the STEPS simulator (http://steps.sourceforge.net/) that replicates calcium uncaging experiments in detail (Tanaka et al. Neuron 54, 2007). This well mixed model with about 400 different reactions behaves fundamentally different when solved deterministically and has generated new insights in the sources of stochasticity in synaptic plasticity. In the future we want to expand this work in two directions: to include diffusion, distributing reactions between the spine and dendrite, and to include induction of parallel fiber long-term potentiation.

Candidates should have experience with modeling molecular reactions. Knowledge of cerebellar LTD or of similar systems preferred. Good English language skills are essential. There will be ample opportunity to interact with the STEPS development team and with other modelers in the lab who are working on several Purkinje cell and cerebellar related projects and with other scientists at OIST.

We offer attractive financial and working conditions in an English language environment.  Duration of initial appointment will depend on previous experience, appointment can start September 2011 or later. More information about the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology is available at http://www.oist.jp/

Send curriculum vitae, summary of research interests and experience, and the names of three referees to Dr. Erik De Schutter at erik at oist.jp