[Comp-neuro] Neural Network ReNNaissance / Visual Pattern Recognition Benchmarks / Jobs

Schmidhuber Juergen juergen at idsia.ch
Tue Feb 8 11:50:27 CET 2011

Recently our neural computer vision team collected a string of 1st
ranks in the following visual pattern recognition competitions and
benchmarks:

1. Online Traffic Sign Recognition Competition, U. Bochum (1st & 2nd
rank; 1.02% error rate, January 2011).
2. NORB Object Recognition Benchmark, NYU, 2004. New record (2.53%
error rate) in January 2011 [1].
3. CIFAR-10 Object Recognition Benchmark, U. Toronto, 2009. New record
(19.51% error rate) in January 2011 [1].
4. MNIST Handwritten Digit Recognition Benchmark, NYU, 1998. New
record (0.35% error rate) in 2010, tied in January 2011 [1].
5.-7. Three Connected Handwriting Recognition Competitions at ICDAR
2009, all won by our multi-dimensional LSTM recurrent neural networks.

None of 1-7 requires the traditional sophisticated computer vision
techniques developed over the past six decades or so. Instead, our
biologically rather plausible neural architectures learn to recognize
objects from numerous training examples. We use supervised feedforward
or recurrent neural networks with many non-linear processing stages.
GPUs speed up learning by a factor of up to 50. No need for
unsupervised pre-training, which is a bit depressing, as we have
developed unsupervised learning algorithms for two decades.
Nevertheless, we think our results are contributing to a second Neural
Network ReNNaissance (the first one happened in the 1980s and early
90s). Most recent paper:
[1] D. C. Ciresan, U. Meier, J. Masci, L. M. Gambardella, J.
Schmidhuber. High-Performance Neural Networks for Visual Object
Classification. Preprint arXiv:1102.0183v1 [cs.AI], 1 Feb 2011.

Overview web sites:
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/vision.html
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/handwriting.html

We are hiring postdocs and PhD students in
neural vision & decision making and related fields:
Postdoc SFR 72,000/year ~ US$ 75,400/year as of 4/2/2011;
PhD student SFR 40,800/year ~ US$ 42,700/year. Instructions:
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/sn2010.html
BTW, Switzerland is the best country for scientists:
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen/switzerland.html     :-)

Juergen Schmidhuber
Director of the Swiss AI Lab IDSIA, Lugano
Professor of Artificial Intelligence, Univ. Lugano
Professor SUPSI, Manno-Lugano, Switzerland
http://www.idsia.ch/~juergen