[Comp-neuro] PhD position in Visual Neuroscience

David Omer david.omer at tuebingen.mpg.de
Wed Aug 31 14:22:48 CEST 2011

A PhD position is available for exploring information processing in the
visual cortex of awake non-human primates. Our aim is to understand the
basic mechanisms by which cortical microcircuits process sensory information
as well as to investigating the role of spontaneous ongoing cortical
activity. To achieve these goals we employ optical imaging based on voltage
sensitive dyes together with genetically designed reporters and
electrophysiology recordings of neuronal activity from the visual cortex.

We are a newly established scientific team at the department of “Physiology
of Cognitive Processes” at the Max Planck Institute for Biological
Cybernetics in Tübingen, Germany.
The institute, headed by Prof. Dr. Nikos Logothetis, offers a unique
stimulating interdisciplinary scientific environment in which research is
carried out at all levels of neuroscience.

The ideal candidate will be highly motivated and will have an educational
background in neuroscience, computational neuroscience, biology, or related
fields. Applicants require a university degree (Diploma or equivalent
M.Sc.). Knowledge in psychophysics and/or neurophysiology is highly valued.
Programming skills (e.g. Matlab) and experience in signal processing are
highly desirable, and will need to be developed through the course of the
PhD.

Applications should include a CV, a statement of research experience and
interests, and names of at least 2 referees.
Please send your application electronically as a single pdf file to David
Omer- david.omer at tuebingen.mpg.de

David B. Omer, PhD
MPI Tübingen, Germany;
Tel +49 7071 6011692