[Comp-neuro] Cognitive Rhythms Collaborative has positions for Postdocs

Nancy Kopell nk at math.bu.edu
Sun Oct 17 00:53:34 CEST 2010

Dear Colleagues,

The Cognitive Rhythms Collaborative is a group of Boston-based scientists
who have begun to work together to advance our understanding of the brain
dynamics underlying cognitive functions such as attention, sensation,
motor planning, and memory. (Names are at the end of this posting). There
is a growing consensus that dynamics are central to understanding how the
brain works, but major gaps exist in what we know and in how we seek to
understand more.  The CRC has focused on the dynamical regime most
strongly associated with cognition, rhythmic activity in the frequency
range 1 - 200 Hz. Its central aims are to characterize the physiological
origins and functions of such rhythms and to understand how pathologies in
rhythmic dynamics are related to symptoms and mechanisms of neurological
disease.  Mathematical modeling, cutting-edge statistical techniques, and
their implementation as computer algorithms will be critical to carrying
out its scientific program.  The CRC has recently been funded for five
years by the National Science Foundation.  The grant will support the CRC,
concentrating on the application of the mathematical sciences to the
investigation of brain dynamics and the potential for new mathematical,
statistical and computational techniques driven by challenging scientific
problems. This will include support of a technology core that will create
new hardware/software platforms to support such techniques.

We are now starting recruitment for our first cohort of CRC Postdoctoral
Associates, focusing on applicants with computational interests.  CRC
Postdocs will be housed at Boston University, MIT or MGH Martinos Center.
They will have flexibility and freedom in projects, with mentoring and
collaboration from multiple CRC investigators, likely at different
institutions.  Examples of projects that can be undertaken by a CRC
postdoc include: development of new algorithms for understanding data
about rhythms, including spike-field relationships; assimilation of
different kinds of data, such as MEG, EEG, physiological data etc.;
melding statistics and dynamics in models; creating biophysically based
dynamical systems models of cognitively relevant circuits; finding new
ways to understand data concerning functional connectivity across the
cortex.

Interested candidates should have three letters of recommendation sent to:

Joan Butler
Department of Mathematics
Boston University
Boston MA 02215

Also include a CV and a statement of research interests.  In the latter,
please include a discussion of what kinds of projects you would like to do
as a CRC Postdoc, and the investigators with whom you might want to work.
There is no official deadline, but we will start considering applications
on Nov. 15, 2010.  Positions are available immediately, but will be filled
over a period of time.

		Founding members

Boston University:  Uri Eden, Howard Eichenbaum, Oded Ghitza, Xue Han,
   Nancy Kopell, Mark Kramer, Jason Ritt, Kamal Sen, Barbara
   Shinn-Cunningham
MIT: Ed Boyden, Emery Brown, Robert Desimone, Ann Graybiel, Earl
   Miller, Chris Moore, Matt Wilson.
MGH/Harvard Medical School/Martinos Imaging Center: Seppo Ahlfors, Emery
   Brown, Sydney Cash, Matti Hamalainen, Stephanie Jones, Steven
   Stufflebeam,
Brandeis: Don Katz
Tufts: Christoph Borgers
Harvard Medical School: Bernat Kocsis
Alpert Medical School, Brown University: Ming Cheng

Among us, we have skills in electrophysiology (in vivo and in vitro),
psychology, imaging, building new technology, data analysis, statistics
and dynamical systems, and neurosurgery.    Our interests range across
topics such as attention, learning and recall, active sensing and motor
control, as well as the basic science underlying effects of anesthesia and
diseases including schizophrenia and Parkinson's disease