[Comp-neuro] PhD position in Norway - modeling of extracelluar potentials

Gaute Einevoll gaute.einevoll at umb.no
Sat Nov 6 16:10:45 CET 2010

A full-time limited-term position as PhD stipendiate is available at the Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology of the Norwegian University of Life Sciences at Ås, Norway. The position is limited to three years.

The Computational Neuroscience Group is at the Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology of the Norwegian University of Life Sciences. The PhD stipendiate position has research education as one of the primary goals. The successful applicant must therefore fulfill the admissions requirements for PhD studies at UMB (http://www.umb.no/phd-studies) and is expected to finish a PhD during the alotted time period. For information on the research group, see http://compneuro.umb.no.

Our group presently consists of five permanent faculty members (Einevoll, Indahl, Nielsen, Plesser, Wyller), one researcher, five post-docs, eight doctoral students and a scientific programmer. We have close collaborations with experimental and computational neuroscientists from many research institutions, including University of Oslo, University of California at San Diego, RIKEN Brain Science Institute, Honda Research Institute Europe, University of Freiburg and Radboud University Nijmegen. We enjoy prioritized access to the Norwegian national scientific high-performance computing resources (http://www.notur.no/) as part of a grant from the eScience program of the Research Council of Norway.

The PhD project will focus on mathematical/computational modeling of extracellular potentials as recorded by various types of electrodes in the living brain as well as in slices of brain tissue. A combination of detailed compartmental modeling of nerve cells (using the simulator Neuron) and electromagnetic forward modeling based on the finite element method (FEM) and other methods will be used. For more information on modeling of extracellular potentials and links to previous publications on the topic from our group, see http://compneuro.umb.no/wiki/Research/Extracellular%20modelling.

The successful applicant must have a mathematically oriented masters degree (e.g., in physics, computer science, mathematics or computational biology) and proven skills in computer-based mathematical modelling. Working experience from using high-level programming languages like Python, Matlab, Java  or C++ is considered advantageous. The working language in our group is English. We would like to increase the number of women in our group and encourage women to apply.

The position is limited to three years, and  we will like to fill it as soon as possible.  The salary is expected to start at state salary level 48 currently NOK 383700 (EUR 46975, USD 65150) per year followed by annual increases. Please contact prof. Gaute T. Einevoll (+47-95124536, gaute.einevoll at umb.no) for more information.

Deadline for application: December 15th 2010 Please submit your application, which should include a CV with a publication list, either electronically via http://www.jobbnorge.no/job.aspx?jobid=70316&uid=2811 , or by conventional mail to Dept. of Mathematical Sciences and Technology, Norwegian University of Life Sciences, PO Box 5003, 1432 Aas, Norway.

Professor Gaute T. Einevoll
Computational Neuroscience Group
Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology Norwegian University of Life Sciences, 1432 Aas, Norway ph. +47-64965433, mobile: +47-95124536
email: Gaute.Einevoll at umb.no, web: arken.umb.no/~gautei