[Comp-neuro] Senior Engineer Position @ Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, TX

Williford, Tori Jean toriw at bcm.edu
Fri Nov 5 20:47:16 CET 2010

Senior Engineer Position in the Laboratory of Andreas Tolias, Department of Neuroscience, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX

We have a position at the level of a Senior Engineer and Programmer to work in the laboratory for Dr. Andreas Tolias in the Department of Neuroscience at Baylor College of Medicine, Houston TX. Our research goals are to understand the neuronal mechanisms that govern perception, learning and decision-making. Our focus is to understand the mechanisms of these processes at the circuit level in the visual system with the ultimate goal to elucidate the principles of the neural code. To this end, we employ methods that allow us to study the properties of networks of neurons in vivo during behavior. Specifically, we use chronic arrays of tetrodes and in vivo 3D ultra-fast two-photon imaging combined using acouto-optic deflectors. These methods are combined with psychophysical and computational methods. We are seeking an enthusiastic engineer with a diverse set of skills interested in cutting edge technology development for understanding brain functions. The ideal candidate should have the following skills:

- Proficiency in Matlab and Labview programming environments required
- Comfortable with circuit board design and manufacturing and working with RF circuits
- Experienced with optical imaging and optics
- Excellent quantitative/Math skills
- Competent with Windows, Linux and Mac
- Good at working in collaborative groups and managing complex projects

Baylor College of Medicine is an equal opportunity employer.

Contact for Inquires: Andreas S. Tolias, PhD (atolias at cns.bcm.edu), R. James Cotton (rcotton at cns.bcm.edu)