[Comp-neuro] New paper on modeling AMPA trafficking in the PSD

Fidel Santamaria fidel.santamaria at utsa.edu
Thu May 13 23:50:55 CEST 2010

Dear colleagues,

I am pleased to announce the publication of our new modeling paper that
aims to understand the fundamental biophysical mechanisms of AMPA
movement in the post-synaptic density (PSD). The widely accepted model
is that AMPA receptors remain trapped in the PSD by strong biochemical
reactions to PSD molecules. However, basic calculations show that
binding cannot explain the dwell time observed from single particle
tracking experiments. Furthermore, the characteristic non-linear
relationship of the mean-squared displacement of AMPA receptors in the
PSD cannot be explained only by assuming biochemical binding. Our model
proposes that steric interactions between AMPA receptors and anchored
PSD molecules causes a well known phenomenon known as anomalous
diffusion. Assuming that AMPA receptors can bounce off non-reactive
anchored molecules  we can reproduce the non-linear diffusion properties
of AMPA receptors in and out of the PSD and their known dwell times.
Counter-intuitively, binding to PSD molecules allows to increase the
mobility of AMPA receptors. What is important, is that AMPA receptors
can remain trapped in the PSD for long periods of time without
metabolically expensive mechanism. I won't go into all the details here
so please, If you want to learn more read our paper at

http://www.ploscompbiol.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pcbi.100078
0

and if you're really intrigued please come to CNS-2010 in San Antonio
where I'm going to give a talk entitled:

A game of pool, a game of tag: AMPA trafficking in the post-synaptic
density

Best,

-Fidel.

--