[Comp-neuro] PhD in computational neuroscience in New Zealand

Lubica Benuskova lubica at cs.otago.ac.nz
Mon May 10 07:09:13 CEST 2010

I am looking for two PhD students to do PhD
at University of Otago in New Zealand.
Applicant should have a Master degree either
in Math, Physics, Engineering or Computer Science
and be proficient in programming. Education in
Neuroscience, Molecular Biology, or Genetics
would be a plus but a keen interest
in these areas is sufficient.

I have two PhD topics:
1. Models and computational simulations of synaptic
plasticity in the brain. Neural activity-dependent
synaptic plasticity is the basis of learning and
memory formation in the brain. We have an ongoing
collaboration with the Brain Health and Repair
Research Centre of University of Otago, from which
we can obtain plenty of data on synaptic plasticity
in the hippocampus. We want to develop and test
explanatory theoretical and computational models
of these data in order to seek abstract theoretical
rules of synaptic plasticity.

2. Computational neurogenetics. Recently researchers
from the Brain Health and Repair Research Centre of
University of Otago identified gene regulatory networks
involved in synaptic plasticity. The goal of this
research will be to explore the dynamic behaviour
of these regulatory networks and make predictions what
happens when genes are mutated or silenced. We will
also explore the possibility to link genes to abstract
synaptic plasticity rules.

Applicant will have to apply for one of about 200 University of
Otago PhD scholarships, see
http://www.otago.ac.nz/study/scholarships/postgraduate_scholarships.html
The scholarships of 20,000NZ$/pa for 3 years are awarded
on a competitive basis mostly based on the marks during the
previous study.

Before an official application, the candidate should first
contact me with an informal enquiry. Applications will be
processed until the positions are filled.

Lubica Benuskova, PhD
lubica at cs.otago.ac.nz
phone: +64 3 479 8587
Department of Computer Science